Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
On the other hand @westcoastjos the reach may not be necessary -- since it is a steel frame building the pieces may be manageable from the ground for the most part. Concrete pumps and bolters/welders can easily work storey by storey for a 3 level building, wheeling supplies from the north end of the structure as each level is completed. I guess we'll see. It will be interesting to see if the frame structure is "balloon" type.
True. I don't envy construction workers - they are definitely more hardy than I am.

EllisDon and the Katz Group have put Ice district block BG on hold indefinitely. I don't know if this applies to the podium or the tower or both.
Sounds like it includes the podium; likely related to financing. I'm sure they are trying to get other partners in short order.

Last edited:
True. I don't envy construction workers - they are definitely more hardy than I am.

Sounds like it includes the podium.
The safety procedure now are being taken very seriously. I was on a site yesterday and everyone is much better at dealing with the new reality. As the super pointed out. things that the guys were supposed to do are now being taken seriously. No more lunch rooms, (One good thing, no more site meetings).I get weekly up dates from all my current projects. New safety regs every week as well. Before I go on site I now text the super and then text when I leave. Each trade now has their own portapot (at least on 2 sites). My firm is getting us face shields next. to be used if we are working close to others.

Had sanitizer and gloves have always been part of my standard PPE. Hand sanitizer is now used before and after I go on site. Gloves get washed every night.

I do think a pulled a muscle in my back yesterday. the body contortions I went through to not sneeze.

EllisDon and the Katz Group have put Ice district block BG on hold indefinitely. I don't know if this applies to the podium or the tower or both.

With the current economic slowdown this shouldn't be too surprising. Once things 'normalize' hopefully construction will continue.

Given that everything seems to be moving incredibly fast when it comes to COVID, I'm guessing it was a lack of communication between key parties. Financing breakdown at the same time that trades were already performing work. I imagine Pagnotta got subbed by Ellis Don?

That, or they think there is work that can be performed in the interim.

I can understand the circumstances for putting a project on hold now but this has been going on since 2017. Other projects such as Encore ,Augustana, Hat and now CNIB have gone forward from that time. I don't understand it. They sold the Stantec office portion for 500 million so I figure there's cash flow. What's going on here!? Help me understand.

Sooooooooooo does this mean the Block BG will be complete on time for the new restaurants in 2021?
May 08, 202020205Commercial FinalTo construct a temporary Crane (Luffing Boom) for the construction of the ICE District Block BG Retail Construction on North portion of the Site (VALID UNTIL JAN 31 2021)

After the crane going up, and offloading some trucks in the first couple days, doesn't seem to be any activity on the site. Maybe there are things happening below grade for some sort of prep work?

All of the rebar and formwork were packed up and shipped off site about a week after being brought in. Crews went down from ~15 to what looks like 3-4. I don't have much hope for anything up quickly. Crane hasn't been operated in weeks.

All of the rebar and formwork were packed up and shipped off site about a week after being brought in. Crews went down from ~15 to what looks like 3-4. I don't have much hope for anything up quickly. Crane hasn't been operated in weeks.

Apparently there is a major shortage of structural steel, so I guess they are just packing up the site until the steel is delivered and they can start construction again.

Back