Brewery District | ?m | ?s | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Apr. 11 Update

Not gonna lie, it's extremely frustrating to see the developer actually put in so much effort and cost to make these buildings look so good (and I mean that, they do look really good), but to have been so intransigent on making the entire development car-oriented, inward-facing, and with so much parking against the wishes of council and the neighbourhood.

My guess is that the surface parking will eventually disappear in favor of additional retail/hospitality structures as the centre gains in popularity, leaving only underground parking and LRT access.

Loblaws launches Edmonton's first CityMarket grocery
A new name in Edmonton’s grocery marketplace debuts Friday with the opening of Loblaws CityMarket at the Brewery District.

The store will be the grocery giant’s first CityMarket in Edmonton and only the second store in Alberta, following an opening in Calgary last January. It will also be one of the first tenants to launch at the still-under-construction mall on 104 Avenue near the old Molson brewery building.

While sister brands such as Real Canadian Superstore and No Frills have been in Edmonton for years, Loblaws CityMarket will be new to most local shoppers as it expands into Western Canada.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Checked out the Loblaws City Market yesterday. Cool store, like a super-fancy Superstore. Lots of great fresh options - we partook in the curry bar for dinner.

Too bad about the design of the complex, though. They designed for cars, and cars they got. Navigating the complex by car and on foot was a brutal experience.

I can imagine that, if the rest of the development emulates the high standards of the City Market, that there will be a demand for additional space and Dave's concern over surface parking will become moot.

Back