What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Agreed, but it's more about not having a near-term plan post-demolition. Edmonton has more vacant lots than almost any major city out there.
I agree we do have to many vacant lots around, but on a more positive note several previously vacant lots have been/are being filled to the south and east of this.

The Cartage Storage building is also fenced off FWIW
image.jpg

Looking at all that empty space. Maybe I'm wrong, but I keep wishing that those properties weren't owned by individuals willing to wait for the big payday from the developer that has more foresight than just keeping empty lots.
I don’t know, looking at the Ice District I find it pretty hard to complain about what Katz Group has been willing to do. There are many others I would put atop the hit list over Katz at least.

I don’t know, looking at the Ice District I find it pretty hard to complain about what Katz Group has been willing to do. There are many others I would put atop the hit list over Katz at least.
It's not Katz Group I have issue with. It's the other land owners/speculators that regularly buy up land on the cheap, promise to build something but then never follows through. That's why as far as I'm concerned we have so many empty lots. It's only after someone like Katz comes along and is willing to put his money where his mouth is does something actually gets built.

Hey, I'd give Qualico some love too. They took on a big risk acquiring the CN lands back in the late 90's. It wasn't until the late 2000's that they developed the first phase, Epcor Tower, and now are developing the next phases, which is another big risk. If they can build enough critical mass and increase the population density of this area it could be a game changer. It could actually help Katz' future plans.

Back