Allard Hall - MacEwan University Centre for Arts and Culture | ?m | 5s | MacEwan University | Revery Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Trapper's cabin hoisted into place at Allard Hall
MacEwan University’s recently opened Allard Hall is getting a new centrepiece art installation.

A small work crew spent part of Tuesday morning suspending a large hunter’s cabin 3.3 metres from the floor of the central hall of the university’s new $180-million, 40,000-square-metre facility at the corner of 104 Avenue and 112 Street.
trapline-1-jpg2.jpg

On Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017 a small work crew installed one of three components of the work titled Trapline, to the ceiling of the university’s new $180-million home to its faculty of fine arts and communication.
Allard Hall — named in recognition of the Allard family’s more than 30 years of support of the institution — is home to the university’s faculty of fine arts and communication. It opened to students in late September.

The cabin is one of three components of the piece titled Trapline, created by Edmonton-based, award-winning artist Brenda Draney, who found inspiration from her brother-in-law’s father, who has a trapline in the Slave Lake area.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/trappers-cabin-hoisted-into-place-at-allard-hall

MacEwan's Trapline a bridge between Edmonton and the north
Brenda Draney has brought a piece of northern Alberta to the heart of downtown Edmonton.

On Thursday, MacEwan University unveiled her art installation, called Trapline, at its new Allard Hall.

The installation is made up of a bronze outline, which represents the boundary of a trapline, with a traditional hunters’ cabin suspended from the ceiling. There is also a series of paintings Draney created representing the importance of trapping in northern communities.

“This city’s legacy, this city’s history, is based on large part on all the small northern communities that travel back and forth to this city,” Draney said. “And they see this city as a part of their own.”

Draney is a MacEwan fine arts alum and a member of Sawridge First Nation near Slave Lake. She said she wanted to pay tribute to the pivotal role trapping has played in northern Alberta’s history. She was partly inspired by her sister’s father-in-law, who is a trapper.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...-a-bridge-between-edmonton-and-the-north.html

PERMIT_DATE October 29, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS11110 - 104 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to an existing building. Install a new staircase between 4th and 5th floors in the Gallery Atrium. Minor renovations to 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors around the Gallery Atrium.
BUILDING_TYPE Post-secondary Institutions (624)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 480,000

PERMIT_DATE January 28, 2020
ADDRESS 11110 - 104 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Interior Alteration to the west side of the 5th floor of Allard Hall
FLOOR_AREA 37,501.43
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 4,000,000

PERMIT_DATE January 28, 2020
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Interior Alteration to the west side of the 5th floor of Allard Hall
FLOOR_AREA 37,501.43
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 4,000,000

Do you know what this is for? The construction value is quite high for interior renos.

PERMIT_DATE January 29, 2020
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to A2 assembly building - Floors 3-5, tenant improvements to East side of Allard Hall - Grant McEwan U
BUILDING_TYPE Universities (626)
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 4,500,000

What an amazing facility, makes me wish I could go back to school to study some of this stuff!
Just went through all of your photos again Dave. Thanks for sharing so much online. It was a bittersweet experience for me - I was enrolled in the jazz program back in 2003 (piano), but I suffered terrible anxiety during the required performances and I withdrew from the program only a few weeks into the second semester. Sometimes I regret my decision to leave; post-secondary really is an interesting place, socially and creatively. My decision to withdraw was an important learning experience and life lesson. Although I've taken a different path, professionally, music still is (and always will be) my greatest passion. Thus, I look back on my time at MacEwan fondly.

I haven't been to Allard Hall myself, but I've admired this building from outdoors. Very proud of Edmonton for having such a culturally relevant multi-purpose arts facility situated in the downtown core.

One last shot of the central atrium:
When viewed from the central atrium, Allard Hall reminds me of the shopping centre that was filmed in the pilot episode of Star Trek: Voyager to depict the Ocampa underground city. That could've been Edmonton, if we had this building a quarter century ago, haha.

Back