49 West | 25m | 6s

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure exactly how to make a new post sorry! But I saw this guy in the works, thought it might be interesting to chat about!!

Screenshot_20210118-172353_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• LDA19-0397_ProposedDC2Provisions.pdf
    11.4 MB · Views: 116
This is the kind of project I love for this area of the city (and the city as a whole obviously). Areas with mainly single detached post-war bungalows are prime for building these multi-family projects and further densifying the city!

149th and 87th/88th. Behind the McDonald's and stuff on the corner there.

Its a great spot for transit to both downtown and university with major bus lines there.

How do you add the address of a project to the map?
And it's just a few blocks away from the Meadowlark Station of the Valley Line West.

So going right across from that row of like, seven or eight skinnies behind the McDonalds?

So going right across from that row of like, seven or eight skinnies behind the McDonalds?
Yup! My buddy lived in one of those. It's a dead end street on the 150th side, so actually really quiet and nice. I thought they would just put more skinnies on the other side. Happy to see this quality of proposal though instead!

And you wouldn't believe that the community league (at least two of its members) are vehemently against any type of apartment building as they 'already have too many in the community.'
UGGHHHHHHH this mindset kills me every time. If you're attracting a quality proposal like this in an area that is struggling to get new builds underway why would you ever turn this down? Add more residents in an older area, right by a main road and transit corridor, and fits with the goals of the city plan. There is still such a pervasive negative mindset about density in these older areas, and I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Oh wait, maybe this is it:
single fam graph.png

I know it's more complex than this and maybe there's other reasons being these people's opposition, but from my first hand experience with people who oppose multi-family development it mostly comes down to "being more like Glenora or Crestwood!" or "multi-family pushes away all the good houses and residents!" I really hope that NIMBY-ish thinking changes as more new dense development get's built and serves and examples of how awesome a denser area can be.

If you like this kind of infill/project, you might want to leave a comment at the link below.

49_West_Cam001_Final_Updated.png_c2ce05a0297f32eeb46deb6148a4e688

49_West_Cam002_Final_Updated_%281%29.png_e80058bd2a527ec8383bac452e178b93

A maximum height of 25.0 meters (approximately 7-storeys);
Up to 100 residential dwellings;
A maximum Floor Area Ratio of 2.5; and
Surface and underground parking accessible from the rear lane including vehicle parking for the adjacent commercial development to the east.

Back