124 Westmount | ?m | 2s | Beljan Development | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IMG_8588.jpeg

Love the look, still believe it's a wasted opportunity not to have 2-3 more floors of housing on top given its location and need for density there.

The same mistakes and missed opportunities persist.

Last edited:
Easy to call it a mistake for armchair quarterbacks. You can only build what you can get financing for, at the end of the day. I would love to see some 5-6 story buildings on 124st too but the reality isn't as easy as just building what you would like to build.

Can't wait to see which businesses and retailers will occupy the main floor space.

2 things though:
1) No more medical clinics, dental clinics or pharmacies please - this city is already deluged.
2) Do not allow Gene Dub as the landlord under any circumstances.

Last edited:
Vine Arts out of Calgary is opening their first Edmonton location here:

1-454079459
ADDRESS10961 - 124 STREET NW
LEGAL_DESCRIPTIONPlan 2320690 Unit 1
NEIGHBOURHOODWESTMOUNT
JOB_DESCRIPTIONTo construct Interior Alterations in an existing commercial floor space. Vine Arts
PERMIT_DATE2023-03-17

Last edited:
awesome! Good to know where I will be spending all my money :p
Why? Do they have a selection not offered at other area stores? To me, buying liquor is like buying salt. I go for the best price, regardless of service and I've never been to a liquor store and said, "geez, you don't have my particular brand, I'm going elsewhere.....lol." Heineken is Heineken at every store.....

Love the look, still believe it's a wasted opportunity not to have 2-3 more floors of housing on top given its location and need for density there.

The same mistakes and missed opportunities persist.

Easy to call it a mistake for armchair quarterbacks. You can only build what you can get financing for, at the end of the day. I would love to see some 5-6 story buildings on 124st too but the reality isn't as easy as just building what you would like to build.

The ironic reality though is that it is easier to get financing for affordable residential in areas like this than it is to get financing for commercial / retail. Reason being is that the residential assuming it is deemed "affordable" would qualify under CMHC financing, and given the low vacancy rate for residential in the 124st area, *should* have no problem getting financing.

On the other hand, the higher retail and commercial vacancy would require traditional bank financing which would result in higher debt service requirements by the bank and higher interest rates.

Why? Do they have a selection not offered at other area stores? To me, buying liquor is like buying salt. I go for the best price, regardless of service and I've never been to a liquor store and said, "geez, you don't have my particular brand, I'm going elsewhere.....lol." Heineken is Heineken at every store.....
If you are looking for special/premium brands of certain things, such as scotch, tequila and other imports, some liquor stores not only have better selection but also have these more consistently.

That it is, but this is an absolutely IDEAL location for a mixed-use project, that area desperately needs more regular foot traffic and while the project is quite well done, another missed opportunity and not much different than a pad site in Brewery.

But to your point, complex and far from easy to do a successful mixed-use... but a missed opportunity for sure.

There aren't a ton of good options in the neighbourhood to be honest, in terms of finding a good variety of quality wines. I'm looking for walking distance from my house and there is maybe 1 liquor store that I would qualify as being what I'm looking for. Excited for this one.

Back