West Garneau | 27m | 6s | Westrich Pacific | J+S Architect

What do you think of this proposal?

• Total voters
Such as with Maclab's Garneau project on 86 Avenue. Maclab did a lot of consultation even before submitting the rezoning application, which definitely helped with getting the majority of the community on board with the project. When it went to Council, very few within the community spoke in opposition. Henderson, subsequently, voted in favor.

Ok so I'm going retract my comment because I agree it wasn't a fair nor accurate, and I don't have any factual proof (I.E voting council records) to support what I said

Last edited:
Hearing from some folks that Westrich is scrapping the tower plan, and now looking at a new 6-story design.

I'm guessing they were talking to Council and not finding support there either.

In any case, six stories is much more appropriate for this location and context.

I don't believe their other project is on Skyrise cities yet but they've put together a sizeable portion of land just on University Avenue. I don't know if it's all of these homes but this is definitely where the fence is up.
Westrich Properties.png

There's been a little discussion about that site in the miscellaneous thread.
Drove by there as well - I think it may be this (looks like it was approved a year ago) @Didama
Job No 308898800-001: To construct a Multi-unit Housing building (6 storeys) with 159 Dwelling units and an underground parkade.
11459 - UNIVERSITY AVENUE NW Plan 9021784 Blk 5 Lot 11A 11439 - UNIVERSITY AVENUE NW Plan 2064S Blk 5 Lots 6-7 8005 - 115 STREET NW Plan 2064S Blk 5 Lot 13 11441 - UNIVERSITY AVENUE NW Plan 2064S Blk 5 Lots 8-10
EFG ARCHITECTS INC.
MCKERNAN
Nothing happening there as of yet.
Whyte Ave area daytime 2020-01-25 004.JPG

Hearing from some folks that Westrich is scrapping the tower plan, and now looking at a new 6-story design.
Westrich is so bullish on Edmonton development. They've got more projects in the works than I can keep track of, and I don't recall ever hearing about the company before Ultima started rising. Were they new at the time?

Regardless, I wish they'd focus on buying up surface lots in the CBD and/or the Quarters, and developing those parcels.

Westrich is so bullish on Edmonton development. They've got more projects in the works than I can keep track of, and I don't recall ever hearing about the company before Ultima started rising. Were they new at the time?

Regardless, I wish they'd focus on buying up surface lots in the CBD and/or the Quarters, and developing those parcels.

They developed some towers in Windermere before Ultima, but yea they seem to have come out of nowhere. Perhaps they were developing under a different name prior, or branched off from another company. Someone on here can probably provide more insight into this.

Last edited:
@Grandinite Westrich is Edmonton-based, founded in 2010 I think. Not sure if Richard Lam had experience in development before that, or where his wealth comes from. Sleuthing the internet didn't turn up much.

You know what?? I kinda like it. definitely at a more reasonable size now and nice to have some another "missing middle" project :D

Back