7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alcohol consumption at designated City-run picnic sites

Kaizen

Member Bio
Reaction score
1614046652471.png

We want your input on whether to allow alcohol consumption at designated City-run picnic sites. Currently, alcohol consumption is not permitted in parks and is a ticketable offence.
These survey results will be used to help make a decision on whether alcohol consumption should be permitted at designated picnic sites and will be discussed at the Community and Public Services Committee scheduled for April 26, 2021.
Your feedback will also help us develop guidelines for creating a pilot to allow alcohol consumption at designated picnic sites if this activity is approved by City Council.
Click here to start
Survey info:
Please allot at least 5-8 mins to provide feedback.
Survey closes: March 7 at 11:59pm
You may be sent one (1) reminder email
Thank you!

I would love to see this! Responsible drinking in a public park is great. BBQs are some of our cities incredible parks with a beer would be amazing compared to being forced into a patio or backyard option only. Hopefully a few bad apples don't wreck it for everyone else.

I frankly don't understand why public drinking is such a taboo in North America. You go to anywhere in Europe and the most common thing to see is couples or groups of friends having picnics with their wine, or just plain sitting on parks and waterfronts having a drink with friends. It doesn't make the places any more dangerous, dirty or uncivilized than it would be otherwise.

^ Absolutely, and it's time that taboo shifts.
I filled out their survey, all in favour of picnic site consumption. Most importantly added fairly detailed suggestions on a couple of questions that had the "other - fill in the blank" choice.
Picnic sites are a start, I hope they at least run the pilot test at least, but it's so archaic.

^ Absolutely, and it's time that taboo shifts.
I filled out their survey, all in favour of picnic site consumption. Most importantly added fairly detailed suggestions on a couple of questions that had the "other - fill in the blank" choice.
Picnic sites are a start, I hope they at least run the pilot test at least, but it's so archaic.
To be more incisive, we don't even need to look at Europe: Quebec allows consumption in public parks, as long as it is accompanied by food and people are not disturbing anyone and yet, I don't think Montreal has any more issues related to public disorder than Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver... I frankly don't understand this taboo and no one has ever given me a reasonable explanation for it that addresses the comparison with other countries that are, generally, just as orderly as any Canadian or American city.

While technically not legal in Vancouver either, police definitely turn a blind eye to public drinking. On a nice summer evening, or weekend, pretty much every open field will have groups of people, young and old, having a bevvy while playing spikeball, catch, volleyball etc. Even on the seawall people drink while having a walk, there's even a little island called "Beer island" that's a popular place to gather in the evening to watch the lights of the city. The only time i have ever seen people get told to pour out their drinks is during big events, such as Canada Fireworks, or Festivals. A large part of the police acceptance is that they really have more important things to do, such as manage the DTES, as well as an acceptance that the majority of Vancouver residents don't have access to a private outdoor space, and a pubic place is the only option for an outdoor beverage. 95% of people are respectful and to be honest in my 8 years living here i have never seen anyone get out of hand. Why legalizing drinking in public is so difficult is baffling to me, it improves quality of life so much...

A phone-call from a friend while picnicking at the park:
"hey I thought you were going to meet ush down here. I brought an extra bottle of Vodka that we could share. Hold on -- there are a million ants on my picnic blanket -- how do I get rid of these little buggers. Pour a little Vodka on them you shay? Kay. Take that you little buggers. *hick* Yeah, I won't lie, I've had a few swigs while waiting for you. Jeez it sheems to wok, no, I mean work. Oh-oh shere comes a cop. *hick* No shir, I have the hiccups from the pickle juice that went wish the pot, no, potato shalad I meant to shay. Honest occifer I am not under the affluence of incohol; I have only been drinking the pickle joosh -- that's why I'm pickled -- ha, ha -- thats wash funny, no? Yes, I yam suspectin' someone *hick* shhhhit -- I mean shucks -- that pickle juice packs a puh, a puh, a punch. Shay occifer have you got a smoke. You only got taback -- tha's okay I got papers. No, not visa type papers, shilly. I mean roller-owns. Shay y'know pots sslegal now y'know -- you got pot? That Vodka bottle? Yesh it's mine. But I only uses it for ant repel-, ant repel-, ant killer. It works, see all of these dead little buggers? *hick* Yah, mebbee -- thas funny too! -- he sez mebbee they's just pissed out from the Vodka, ha, ha! You should be here -- this cops awright -- sorry accifer -- I mean this cons, this cons, this constablah -I can't shay it -- that damn pickle juice -- this guys cool man. Yesh i'll jus lay here with ants *hick* and shleep it off -- bye!"

Last edited:
City permits alcohol consumption at designated picnic sites in River Valley parks​
S.gif
6e208d6b-f71e-4a91-b38a-a602220aff5e.png
S.gif
S.gif

May 3, 2021

Today, City Council approved a plan to permit alcohol consumption at 47 picnic sites across seven parks in the River Valley as a pilot project that will run from May 28, 2021 to October 11, 2021.

“Through public engagement, a majority of citizens told us they support responsible alcohol consumption at designated picnic sites,” said David Aitken, Branch Manager for Community Standards and Neighbourhoods. “The picnic sites chosen meet our guiding principles around safety, accessibility, visitor experience, honouring existing park users and inclusivity.”

Previous to this change, alcohol consumption was not permitted in any park without a festival and event licence.

The selected parks for the 2021 pilot project include: Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Whitemud, William Hawrelak, Government House, Victoria, Gold Bar and Rundle. Park sites include bothbookable and “first-come, first-served” picnic sites.

Adults may consume alcohol safely and responsibly from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily at only those picnic sites marked by signage.

Alcohol consumption is still not permitted at picnic sites in those parks that are not part of the pilot project. The only exception is for activities that have a festival and event licence.

City administration will review the pilot project over its duration and report back results to City Council at the end of 2021.​

Media contact:
Mark Torjusen
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-914-8087​

At the May 3, 2021, City Council meeting, the following motion passed:

Consumption of Cannabis Infused Drinks in Public Parks

That Administration explore the implications of permitting the consumption of cannabis infused drinks in select river valley parks and report back to City Council.

Due Date: Fourth Quarter 2021

Back