7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

99 Street Streetscaping and Waterproofing

Greenspace

Member Bio
Reaction score

Project Overview​

Concept planning is underway for the project to establish a 99 Street Streetscape plan that balances the priorities of the community as well as those of businesses, users of all modes of transportation in the area.

The project area includes 99 Street from 102 Avenue to Jasper Avenue.This area of 99 Street has been identified as an important link to key destinations such as Churchill Square, Churchill LRT Station, Milner Library, Centennial Plaza, Citadel Theatre, Jasper Avenue, and the Edmonton Convention Centre.

The project includes a new streetscape design that supports safe and comfortable active modes of transportation including filling in the missing link between Jasper Avenue and 102 Avenue as identified in the City Bike Plan and Bike Plan Implementation Guide. The new streetscape design will improve pedestrian and active transportation, encouraging walkability and supporting downtown vibrancy.

The project also includes replacing the aged waterproofing membrane on the Stanley Milner Library parkade under 99 Street.

This project is currently funded for the completion of concept and preliminary designs of the streetscaping and structural design of the membrane.

99-Street-Streetscaping-View-1-1600x1200.jpg

99-Street-Streetscaping-View-2-1600x1200.jpg

99-Street-Streetscaping-View-3-1600x1200.jpg

99-Street-Streetscaping-View-4-1600x1200.jpg

Attachments

• 99_Streetscape_Plan.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 80
I like the bike lanes, and I hope they do raised crosswalks/intersections to keep traffic speeds slow in what amounts to an access road downtown ... or, conversely, a street without curbs (perhaps with bollards) that can be converted to pedestrian areas on weekends or during festivals

Pretty basic project. Just a block of bike lanes and some parking. Hopefully they do raises crossings like you mentioned and consider protected intersections for the bike lanes on jasper and crossing 102

Thankfully, this will continue to link disruption in the area that will be damn near a decade once all of this is done.

I think I would prefer trees here instead of just planter boxes - or instead of. Trees would also soften the library some. Or are trees not feasible here?

Screenshot_20220918-124116_Samsung Internet.jpg

Given what's underneath, ie. parkade, it might not have the depth/clearance for soil cells.

Given what's underneath, ie. parkade, it might not have the depth/clearance for soil cells.
Based on what If seen as they have dug up some parts of this the last few years I don't think you will see soil cells here.

I do wish this was done when they had the streets ripped up for the LRT and Jasper Vision. Over all though its a pretty small section maybe 150 meters in length. A portion up to the Weston wad done already. The section by the Library is being done as part of the Plaza upgrade so the Citadel portion will be the biggest.

Back