Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Seems to me, @Daveography, that, if they can shut it down for 2 years, then they should be able to close it permanently -- at least with whatever accommodations are being put in place for 2 years.

@archited Most of the laneways in question are further west than the lanes closed for complete shutdown (maps), with the exception of the Canada Place parkade and loading dock access, which will continue to have a lane open on 102 Ave through the "total closure." I think it still makes sense to run the one-way lane continuously along here. The area will be significantly traffic-calmed with the LRT, bikeway, and wider sidewalks.

'Rathole,' tunnel or skyway? Council set to debate tricky west LRT options
City officials are finalizing plans for the west LRT line and struggling with how to avoid snarling traffic at 149 Street.

One option could make a new “rathole” — sending north-south traffic under an LRT track at grade.

Another fix — putting the track on stilts as it follows Stony Plain Road — could force officials to expropriate local businesses and create an unfriendly concrete monolith for an eight-block stretch of the commercial district.

After a full design review for the 14-km west leg of the Valley Line LRT, city officials are poised to send three options to council. The third and most expensive option is tunnelling along Stony Plain Road.

The option of sinking 149 Street rather than the track itself is new, introduced at an open house in November and still spreading through the neighbourhood.

“You mean like a rathole? A rathole would be bad,” said Michael MacFynn, marketing manager for nearby Revolution Cycle, remembering how 109 Street used to tunnel under CN rail yards north of 104 Avenue. It was notoriously ugly. MacFynn worries it would flood.

Cost estimates for each option are heading to council in February.

“I wouldn’t want to be making that decision, I tell you. It’s a tough one,” said Diane Kereluk, head of the local business association.

An elevated guideway with heavy concrete supports running from 146 to 154 streets would not be pedestrian friendly, Kereluk said. It could also require more land, destroying local shops and undermining years of work revitalizing the area.

valley-line-lrt-dialog.jpg

An elevated guideway for the west leg of the Valley Line LRT could look similar to this, covering a span from 146 to 154 streets to avoid traffic at 149 Street along Stony Plain Road. SUPPLIED / CITY OF EDMONTON
Businesses are toying with yet another solution — leave the train at grade and simply make Stony Plain Road a one-way westbound street, she said.

Nearby 100 Avenue could handle eastbound traffic, leaving businesses intact and still delivering essential evening traffic to their doors. It could simplify the 149 Street crossing.

City officials call the new underpass option an urban-style interchange. It would include multiple traffic lanes, sidewalks, access ramps and retaining walls. Whether north-south traffic could access Stony Plain Road from the 149 Street underpass would depend on how much extra land council expropriates.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...council-set-to-debate-tricky-west-lrt-options

They really hate the idea of an elevated line... my goodness. Because it's done so terrible in Vancouver and Calgary and just destroyed neighbourhoods lol.

Valley Line LRT construction to close 85 Street in Bonnie Doon
story-319812-415713-image-rendered.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

CITY OF EDMONTON / METRO WEB UPLOAD
Due to Valley Line LRT construction, 85 Street south will close to traffic for 18 months.

As construction continues on the Valley Line LRT, 85 Street in Bonnie Doon is getting set to close to make way.

Starting Jan. 20, the street—which is one of the spokes leading out of the traffic circle near Bonnie Doon Mall—will be closed off, from the traffic circle to 88 Avenue, according to a city release.

It is scheduled to be closed for 18 months.

The traffic circle will be eventually be replaced with a four-way intersection.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...uction-to-close-85-street-in-bonnie-doon.html

Proposal would make part of Stony Plain Road a one-way street to save LRT costs
valleylinelrv_glenora.jpg

Rendering of the Valley Line LRT west Glenora stop.
Credit: City of Edmonton

An idea is being floated that would see a section of Edmonton’s Stony Plain Road — westbound between 149 and 156 streets — become a one-way.

The new proposal has emerged from some businesses in west Edmonton as a way to help keep traffic moving, and keep construction costs down for the $1.8-billion Valley Line LRT.

Councillor Andrew Knack confirmed Monday that he has now written deputy city manager Adam Laughlin, asking city staff to consider that as an option when a report comes to city council in March.

The proposal suggests having two stretches of one-way traffic in each direction, a block apart.

“The thinking behind that is, 100 Avenue is already heavily used by most commuter traffic, ” Knack said in an interview.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3953056/...lain-road-a-one-way-street-to-save-lrt-costs/

They really hate the idea of an elevated line... my goodness. Because it's done so terrible in Vancouver and Calgary and just destroyed neighbourhoods lol.
Comments without ever having been to those neighbourhoods before or after of course. Short tunnels under high throughput intersections seems sensible.

As for reducing the number of lanes and creating one ways, wasn't that a main reason why the BRT proposal a decade+ back collapsed?

There's so much to weigh here, I do NOT envy City Council right now.
  • Tunneling may be cost-prohibitive and could impact funding for the line
  • Elevating too, less so, but may hamper neighbourhood revitalization efforts
  • Vehicle traffic in this neighbourhood is already bad
  • If the city is serious about traffic, though, the focus needs to be on most efficient use of space and that will not be vehicles which predominantly carry single occupants.
The only reason BRT is back in the discussion is because lots of folks are using the term while thinking express buses. Which we have. Which are not great if you've ever used them. True BRT requires almost the same level of infrastructure and space as LRT, but with lower service levels and capacity. Edmonton has proven with each new LRT extension (except Metro line, which is an anomaly for reasons I shouldn't have to get into here) that ridership justifies LRT. WEM especially so as it is one of the largest employment nodes on top of being a major destination for shoppers and tourists.

My biggest issue with the debate right now is that the people with the strongest opinions on how it should be designed are coming from the people the least likely to actually use it.

Comments without ever having been to those neighbourhoods before or after of course. Short tunnels under high throughput intersections seems sensible.

As for reducing the number of lanes and creating one ways, wasn't that a main reason why the BRT proposal a decade+ back collapsed?

That is completely fair, my only experience really has been 111 street LRT living around it before and after and going to the U of A Hospital lots from work I avoid it like the plague now.

I dunno I guess I see an LRT is going to disrupt and change a neighborhood whether it is at grade or elevated. Unless it underground its going have some sort of effect both postie/negative depending on who you talk to.

Stop-work order lifted on portion of Valley Line LRT project
A stop-work order issued by Occupational Health and Safety on a portion of the Valley Line LRT has been lifted.

The order was lifted Monday night after an inspection to ensure contractor TransEd was in compliance, Matt Dykstra, a spokesman for Alberta Labour Minister Christina Gray, said Wednesday.

“They were able to make a shelter within the tunnel where workers would be protected should the tunnel be blocked in any form,” Dykstra said. “And they ensured proper availability of a breathing apparatus and respiratory protection should there be any blockage of airflow into the tunnel.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-lifted-on-portion-of-valley-line-lrt-project

January 18, 2018
Announcing Valley Line LRT public art

Edmonton - Media are invited to the announcement of the artwork concepts for the Valley Line LRT. Speakers will include representatives from the Edmonton Arts Council, the City of Edmonton and select local artists.

Date: Monday, January 22, 2018
Time:12:00 pm

The new line will feature 14 public artworks created by local, Canadian, Indigenous, and international artists. The works will be featured at the community stops, stations and other structures, and will range from large mosaics to intimate, community-based glass art. At the event, media will have the opportunity to view artwork concepts, interview selected local artists, and learn about community engagement plans for the Valley Line artworks.

The artworks are being created through the City of Edmonton’s Percent for Art policy, which dedicates one per cent of qualifying construction costs to acquiring public art in City infrastructure. The Edmonton Arts Council manages the selection process, acquisition and conservation of Edmonton’s public art collection.

-30-

The Edmonton Arts Council (EAC) is a non-profit society and charitable organization that supports and promotes the arts in Edmonton. The EAC works to increase the profile and involvement of arts and culture in all aspects of community life.

Media Contact:

Jenna Turner
Communications Director
Edmonton Arts Council
780.424.2787 ext 224

Public Art and Artists announced for the Valley Line LRT
January 22, 2018

The City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Arts Council announced the 14 public artworks for the Valley Line Southeast LRT today at City Hall. The artworks are commissioned through Edmonton’s Percent for Art policy. Four Edmonton artists, three Alberta artists, two Indigenous artist teams and one international artist were selected.

“The diverse scope of genres and subjects within the Valley Line collection means Edmontonians can expect to find something they connect with and enjoy” said Sanjay Shahani, Edmonton Arts Council Executive Director. “As the artists move forward with their community engagement activities, we encourage Edmontonians to contribute their ideas, stories, and thoughts to add further meaning to the public art in their neighbourhoods.”

The artworks range from intimate, community-focussed glass art and sculpture at the neighbourhood stops to large-scale sculpture, paintings, mosaic, and glass, at the Churchill Connector, Tawatinâ Bridge, Davies Ramp and Davies Station. Artworks were chosen from a total of 260 proposals by a series of selection committees comprising community members, local artist representatives, the City of Edmonton and project personnel.

Edmonton’s Erin Pankratz will create Intervolve, two 47-meter-long mosaics for each side of the Davies Ramp. The artwork, an interweaving of colours, will echo the path of Mill Creek Ravine. Her proposal was selected through an international call to artists.

“Beautiful cities are artful cities. I feel that artistic diversity is important – works by international artists balanced with giving local artists the opportunity to gain experience while creating something wonderful here in Edmonton,” said Pankratz. “Receiving this commission is an honour as I am passionate about art being incorporated into everyday life and I believe it is the role of public art to help create that”.

The artists selected include : Paul Freeman, David Garneau, Adad Hannah, Karen Ho Fatt Lee, Stephanie Jonsson, Laboratory for Integrative Design, Kirsten McCrea, Oksana Movchan, The New BC Indian Art and Welfare Society Collective, Erin Pankratz, Public Studio, Paul Reimer, Shan Shan Sheng, and Max Streicher.

Click here to access images of the artist proposals.

The Edmonton Arts Council is a non-profit society and charitable organization that supports and promotes the arts community in Edmonton. The EAC works to increase the profile and involvement of arts and culture in all aspects of our community life.

Media contact:
Jennifer Villeneuve
Communications Coordinator
Integrated Infrastructure Services, LRT Services
780-508-9167

Eva Marie Clarke
Communications Officer
Edmonton Arts Council
780-424-2787 ext 235

Attachments

• P1221187.jpg
    P1221187.jpg