News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

10808 85th Ave

fromyeg

Member Bio
Reaction score
IMG_7162.jpeg

Noticed this today.^^

Right by Altairus, which had a ton of guys working on it and is now at grade.

Four old SFHs are fenced off and look ready for demolition. An excavator was on site.

More density in Garneau. đź‘Ť

I love how much this corner of Garneau is popping off with mid-rise buildings! This will be the 3rd one here now correct?

At some point these 6-storey edifices are going to become so commonplace that they will begin to feel like the walk-ups that they are replacing cross-town and start to be hated too,

You might look at a 1970's house, which hasn't received the best care and attention over the years, and think "hmm, a new house here would be really nice. If anything, some renos and maintenance would do it wonders". The same thing applies to buildings, too. The issue has been that, in Edmonton at least, many SFHs have been redeveloped and infilled, but small apartment buildings haven't seen that same change or to not nearly same degree.

Personally, a 70's walk-up that has been well maintained and cared for, has nice landscaping, or even renovated to some extent can look very nice. Many (if not most) around Edmonton, however, are not in that great of a condition. There's more I could mention, like how these buildings have a better urban scale (no big useless front lawn) and have more mixed-use elements than before, making street life better, etc.

At some point these 6-storey edifices are going to become so commonplace that they will begin to feel like the walk-ups that they are replacing cross-town and start to be hated too,
Perhaps eventually but I feel we are a long way from there yet. At this point it is good and nice to see something newer and larger replace something smaller, older and possibly run down.

I suspect many of the older walk ups will remain for some time particularly the ones that are reasonably well maintained. So it will be good to have a more variety of heights and a mix of old and new.

Back