The Parks | 146.91m | 45s | 35s | 13s | Pangman | Hariri Pontarini

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interprovincial migrants certainly, but for international migrants, they almost always will go for available rentals rather than an SFH in my experience. Could be nice to see and retain a chunk of those people to stay within the core as renters rather than moving to the burbs for an SFH.

Nowhere to go but up.

But it's honestly remarkable how little is happening given the record migration, but we that know the fundamentals simply aren't there yet.

Chicken and the egg.
What do you expect when developers chase a certain demographic only.

I'm excited as anyone else about the influx of people coming here. More people = higher demand for big city amenities and a lot of the people coming here will be expecting/hoping for things they are used to in places like Toronto and Vancouver. BUT I don't expect to see the spillover effect to happen for another couple of years realistically.

It's also important to keep in mind a lot of the people moving here will be young, middle class families that just want to live in a SFH in a quiet neighbourhood far away from the city centre. It's not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind as Edmonton undergoes what arguably could be the most transformative period the city is about to go through this century.

For sure the case as of now, but I am hopeful that more and more people (especially in my generation) will not fall for the "It's the suburbs/single family infill or you're bad parents" trap I've seen with so many people. Hopefully projects like warehouse park will encourage more families to set up in downtown and more relevant services like childcare and even new "urban-style" schools come in. Idk what it is but seeing families with kids around personally makes me feel a lot safer in downtown!

Interprovincial migrants certainly, but for international migrants, they almost always will go for available rentals rather than an SFH in my experience. Could be nice to see and retain a chunk of those people to stay within the core as renters rather than moving to the burbs for an SFH.
Many if not most international immigrants are from country’s where apartment living is the norm. In particular Europe and Asia where urban lifestyle is the norm and having an unattached single family home is a dream.

I'm excited as anyone else about the influx of people coming here. More people = higher demand for big city amenities and a lot of the people coming here will be expecting/hoping for things they are used to in places like Toronto and Vancouver. BUT I don't expect to see the spillover effect to happen for another couple of years realistically.

It's also important to keep in mind a lot of the people moving here will be young, middle class families that just want to live in a SFH in a quiet neighbourhood far away from the city centre. It's not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind as Edmonton undergoes what arguably could be the most transformative period the city is about to go through this century.
I still find this perspective fascinating. Every time I visit friends and family in edgemont, secord, windemere, and walker, I can’t wait to get away from the traffic, noise, and busyness of those neighborhoods and back to my mature community without arterials, less driving, more trees/greenery, and more people out walking and such.

The “quiet” suburb is a myth in Edmonton. Our suburbs are very busy due to density, while still being car dependent.

Our central areas, with the exceptions of downtown proper and Strathcona/whyte, are actually much quieter and more peaceful. Especially with the river valley.

IMG_6576.jpeg

View from the U.

Back