Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Cost was a non starter I’m pretty sure. Figures were usually 3-5x what at grade would be. So this line being 3bil likely would have become 5-8bil if fully elevated, with larger stations, etc.

It’s sort of a double whammy. We’re too sprawled and low density to afford the best transit. But because we’re so sprawled, we especially need fast, grade separated transit.

So we get the worst of both.

Thankfully, as big as Edmonton is, people very much live in quadrants and many of our employment bases aren’t downtown. I suspect many valley line users will be travelling 4-6 stops often vs longer 10+ stop trips.

It’d be interesting to see how this compares to the C train or Toronto subways, skytrain etc in terms of average trip distance, how many people get off at what stop, etc. vancouver definitely mostly funnels people from suburbs to city centre.

Considering the existing lines fill up in the morning in the suburban stations and quickly unload at the University and Downtown stations, I suspect not. Yes, our employment is more decentralized than Calgary, and yes, I suspect there will be many people going a handful of stops rather than all the way from the 'burbs to Downtown, as already happens, but the system already is much busier at peak times for getting people into school or office jobs in the core and I don't think VLW will change that. Especially because rapid transit planning in Edmonton doesn't really prioritize our other large employment zones that are outside of the core, such as 50th St/Capilano, 170th/Mayfield/Industrial NW business parks, Nisku, Refinery Row, Parsons Rd business and industrial parks, and Acheson. There are obvious reasons for this but the LRT is largely designed for commuters into the core from further out, particularly considering every route meets Downtown. Peak service orients around this and the proof is in the traffic volumes.

I think the Valley Line West will help Misericordia and West Edmonton Mall. All the major hospitals and shopping malls will be served. I agree that the industrial areas need better transit service. I think Strathcona Transit has a stop at the Esso refinery at 34 Street, and is probably the mainline transit route to University and Downtown. Other industrial areas seem to have transit frequency similar to other far-flung suburbs.

Considering the existing lines fill up in the morning in the suburban stations and quickly unload at the University and Downtown stations, I suspect not. Yes, our employment is more decentralized than Calgary, and yes, I suspect there will be many people going a handful of stops rather than all the way from the 'burbs to Downtown, as already happens, but the system already is much busier at peak times for getting people into school or office jobs in the core and I don't think VLW will change that. Especially because rapid transit planning in Edmonton doesn't really prioritize our other large employment zones that are outside of the core, such as 50th St/Capilano, 170th/Mayfield/Industrial NW business parks, Nisku, Refinery Row, Parsons Rd business and industrial parks, and Acheson. There are obvious reasons for this but the LRT is largely designed for commuters into the core from further out, particularly considering every route meets Downtown. Peak service orients around this and the proof is in the traffic volumes.
But other than Southgate, there’s not a lot of destinations besides uni and downtown on the capital line.

Whereas WEM is a whole different beast. Especially with parking, tourism, and the numbers of residential stops the valley line stop has that could feed into WEM.

West valley also goes to Mis, and then 124th street and brewery district stops are huge in terms of main streets/food/leisure sort of stuff.

I might be wrong, but I really do think the valley line has a more balanced connectivity vs capital.

But other than Southgate, there’s not a lot of destinations besides uni and downtown on the capital line.

Whereas WEM is a whole different beast. Especially with parking, tourism, and the numbers of residential stops the valley line stop has that could feed into WEM.

West valley also goes to Mis, and then 124th street and brewery district stops are huge in terms of main streets/food/leisure sort of stuff.

I might be wrong, but I really do think the valley line has a more balanced connectivity vs capital.

WEM will definitely draw people, but while it does employ a lot of people, my hunch is that you're still going to get more people on the Valley Line from Meadowlark going to Downtown (or Oliver, which is basically an extension of Downtown) than WEM on a Tuesday morning.

Sure there's the Mis, but Metro Line already has the Royal Alex and the VLSE has the Grey Nuns. And while Health Sciences does see significant commuter traffic, the number of people getting off there vs University Station most of the time is still significantly different.

Last edited:
WEM will definitely draw people, but while it does employ a lot of people, my hunch is that you're still going to get more people on the Valley Line from Meadowlark going to Downtown (or Oliver, which is basically an extension of Downtown) than WEM on a Tuesday morning.

Sure there's the Mis, but Metro Line already has the Royal Alex and the VLSE has the Grey Nuns. And while Health Sciences does see significant commuter traffic, the number of people getting off there vs University Station most of the time is still significant.
Being able to connect seamlessly from anywhere on the Capital Line (the University in particular) to Oliver and all of its places to eat will be a huge boon for the Valley Line.

^Then it's a win-win for both. I'm thinking WEM has more people there on weekends than downtown.

It's not even close. Even on Oilers game nights it doesn't come close to WEM's busy days.

The mall receives about 32 million visitors per year; it attracts between 90,000 and 200,000 shoppers daily, depending on the day and season.

WEM has more than 800 stores. Does dt even have 1/4 of that?

It's not even close. Even on Oilers game nights it doesn't come close to WEM's busy days.

The mall receives about 32 million visitors per year; it attracts between 90,000 and 200,000 shoppers daily, depending on the day and season.

Unfortunately, downtown does not really have much retail to attract people, few destination stores and considerably less than 5 or 10 years ago.

Not much growth in corporate or head offices either, so really just one thing to attract people is entertainment, which unfortunately can only do so much.

Rather than having a three legged stool our current downtown strategy is to pretend one leg is good enough. That strategy will not work.

Be that as it may, it also has the largest parking lot in the world. The LRT will likely shift the modal share a bit more towards transit, but a lot of those shoppers are still gonna be driving and parking.

Back