News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Riley's 108 Street Redevelopment | 20.2m | 6s | J+S Architect

Exactly, filling in a few of the empty lots with residential like this will make the area much more appealing and likely help lead to more and bigger developments. Not building anything in the hopes of getting something better in the distant future will lead to more of the same.
But this one isn’t an empty lot. 😏

Reference ID:Job No 500496662-002
Description:To construct a Residential Use building in the form of a 136 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing with Ground Floor Commercial Use (to be confirmed).
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lot 145
10164 - 108 STREET NW
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lot 146
10180 - 108 STREET NW
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 143-144
Applicant:J+S ARCHITECT

So safe to say about 200 residents here plus The Parks with CRUs in both developments - 108 Street is gaining some noteworthy momentum to be a nice pedestrian quality street with some interesting features - the nearby warehouse park, the revamped Leg grounds at one end and an enhanced outdoor space at MacEwan U at the other (nice bookends).

That is exactly why something like this is also vital at present. We need to get the visual bodies downtown to gain further momentum for big projects to come. The podium definitely requires some tweaking for security purposes however.

Good location. I don't care about height as much as others on here might. There will be plenty of older, smaller buildings to tear down and replace with massive towers if demand calls for it.

In my opinion, this is just organic growth. The city is going to need to build a downtown school soon, though.

Good location. I don't care about height as much as others on here might. There will be plenty of older, smaller buildings to tear down and replace with massive towers if demand calls for it.

In my opinion, this is just organic growth. The city is going to need to build a downtown school soon, though.

Already within a short distance:
- Holy Child
- Oliver School
- St Joseph
- St Catherine

Plus McKernan school is a quick LRT ride away.

A few years ago now, but in my building (Omega) there used to be twins who took the LRT from Leg station to McKernan to go to school. How big city!

If you think about it and drew a 20-30 minute radius, Downtown is actually well served.

Growing up in the SW I too a 30 minute yellow bus to Greenfield for French immersion, a 20 minute city bus to jr. high and a 30 minutes bus or 15-20 minute drive to high school (Scona).

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the scale of this proposal. You see many of these being built in the core of other cities such as Nashville, etc. Development economics dictate this in general.
Exactly, when you look what is around it, it is fine. Not every location will be a tall high rise. The addition to the recent Capital conversion (a block and a half south) is a similar size.

You see a lot of buildings this height in the central parts of many cities throughout the world and it helps them feel more comfortable and human in scale than just a bunch of tall towers.

Exactly, when you look what is around it, it is fine. Not every location will be a tall high rise. The addition to the recent Capital conversion (a block and a half south) is a similar size.

You see a lot of buildings this height in the central parts of many cities throughout the world and it helps them feel more comfortable and human in scale than just a bunch of tall towers.
Hell, even people's beloved Vancouver has some of these, and you see no one complaining

Back