News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Too many kitchens or too few people?

Downtown used to be a destination for many when going out for dinner, but sadly its reputation, safety issues, parking costs and far better options in the burbs have reduced this crowd immensely.

Thankfully there are still a handful of worthy destination spots, but it pales in comparison to the hub it once was.

The much larger pub/bar crowds lead me to disagree. There is a market-wide (and much publicized) move away from dining-in and would suggest that the market is simply rebalancing in response to changes in behaviors.

Fair comment, but Whyte is also at capacity for seats and so things have few options and naturally migrate to the core, but the market-wide (and much publicized) move away from drinking/party bars/clubs is also seeing responses to this behaviour.

Too many kitchens or too few people?

Downtown used to be a destination for many when going out for dinner, but sadly its reputation, safety issues, parking costs and far better options in the burbs have reduced this crowd immensely.

Thankfully there are still a handful of worthy destination spots, but it pales in comparison to the hub it once was.
From the sounds of everyone it would seem like the nightlife and overall scene downtown are improving though.

From the sounds of everyone it would seem like the nightlife and overall scene downtown are improving though.
I feel it is also. For every high profile fast food place closing, we have a much less well covered opening of a high end steak place that moved downtown and several new clubs.

Eeeee Gaaadd! What a horrid wasteland right in the middle of our core....this can't come fast enough. Btw, "2300 units under construction ADJACENT to the park......" Does that # seem a tad high? If all the proposals and phases are included as well..... I presume that's what they mean......

There have been interesting discussions on that front. “The city manager has been in contact with some folks in the development industry just to line up the timing to make sure that their buildings are opening as the park is opening and reducing that lag as much as possible,” Stevenson said. “That’s how powerful and influential the completion of the park is on that (type of) investment.”
Well that was a very interesting quote considering this is slated to be finished in late 2025

Eeeee Gaaadd! What a horrid wasteland right in the middle of our core....this can't come fast enough. Btw, "2300 units under construction ADJACENT to the park......" Does that # seem a tad high? If all the proposals and phases are included as well..... I presume that's what they mean......
how many units in the parks? maybe they're counting that plus another they expect to get underway soon?

I suspect this is the total of everything proposed, some of which is unlikely to happen soon if ever. I wish politicians and bureaucrats would be more grounded in reality here and not wander off to what may be fantasy land.

It sounds nice, but it doesn't help their credibility.

Back