103 Avenue & 123 Street | ?m | ?s | Averton

Averton has recently re-submitted their rezoning application to RA9 for this property, they would likely build something between 8 and 20 storeys ('midrise').

shadow.png

Averton has recently re-submitted their rezoning application to RA9 for this property, they would likely build something between 8 and 20 storeys ('midrise').

View attachment 512589
This is super exciting! what a time to live around 124th

I know for a fact that several years ago, (pre pandemic), a company did have a high rise proposal for that lot but it was vehemently opposed by the Oliver Community League... (the same set of folks that fought Abbey Lane Homes over the proposed land swap between Oliver Park at 104 ave and the old school where ABH are currently building). I see from the OCL website that most of that core of folks have moved on from the league.

Honestly, Oliver Community League fighting height and densification makes as much sense as an inflatable pincushion.
I know for a fact that several years ago, (pre pandemic), a company did have a high rise proposal for that lot but it was vehemently opposed by the Oliver Community League... (the same set of folks that fought Abbey Lane Homes over the proposed land swap between Oliver Park at 104 ave and the old school where ABH are currently building). I see from the OCL website that most of that core of folks have moved on from the league.

Does that mean this building goes?

Without knowing the condition of this building, I would prefer we avoid tearing affordable rental buildings so they can be replaced with larger unaffordable rental buildings. I'm a little worried about this trend as this will be the second affordable rental building torn down on the street now, and probably won't be the last one we see in Oliver in the years ahead.

Without knowing the condition of this building, I would prefer we avoid tearing affordable rental buildings so they can be replaced with larger unaffordable rental buildings. I'm a little worried about this trend as this will be the second affordable rental building torn down on the street now, and probably won't be the last one we see in Oliver in the years ahead.
I would prefer these buildings didn't get torn out unless absolutely necessary, but realistically, these walkups in Oliver will vanish, as the neighbourhood densifies. Oliver's densification process is getting more and more intense, and there are very few lots and/or houses left. Most of the available land is already spoken for, and will eventually be developed (Edmonton Motors, Emerald...) into very high-density. The neighbourhood is also gentrifying, albeit ever so slightly, and this is a movement that we probably can't stop (and I don't even know if we should, as controversial of an opinion as this is).

Give it another 15~20 years and these walkups, so ubiquitous in Oliver, will be all but gone, with maybe a few survivors.

I would also prefer that parking lots are the first to go, but this build will at least quintuple density on these lots compared to the prior blend of multi family and SFHs. Gotta take the good with the bad here.

The city could really help with this by stopping illegal parking lots, making it most economical to build on those lots first.

I believe restrictive zoning policies and historical government overreach in dictating what types of housing can be built are what's eating at affordable pricing, more than individual developers at least. I'm speaking at city council on the 16th in favour of the New Zoning Bylaw, something which will directly aid in reducing pressure on the housing market. I encourage anyone who is interested to do the same! 😁

Back