Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

The trains are once again running across the Tawatina Bridge and along Connors Hill.
You can all breathe easier now - the sky is not falling.
Time will tell the tale of the bridge's structural integrity. I'm extremely suspicious of everything I've been seeing along these elevated sections over the last couple years - from poor hoarding, safety shut downs, to speedy pours in sketchy weather, to engineering assessments pointing out poor rebar systems, to "surface cracks", to belting solutions.

LOVE low floor trains, but I won't be confident in these elevated sections for a few years.

Maybe we should look at it the other way - rather than making driving worse, try making bus and LRT service better.

You actually kind of need to do both. The Dutch learnt this when they poured massive amounts of money into new bike lanes in the '80s and found that, by the early '90s, it caused only a marginal uptick in modal share. It really started growing when they combined it with making driving less convenient (expensive/scarce parking, traffic calming, car-free zones).

You actually kind of need to do both. The Dutch learnt this when they poured massive amounts of money into new bike lanes in the '80s and found that, by the early '90s, it caused only a marginal uptick in modal share. It really started growing when they combined it with making driving less convenient (expensive/scarce parking, traffic calming, car-free zones).

Agreed both. In Denmark same thing, made the economic choice in terms of infrastructure cost to make cycling the easier choice and driving more of a hassle and less convenient.

And now Paris, Oslo and on and on. Ultimately though I want good active and public transportation options.

DSC02131.JPG

Has anyone seen the work going on the Valley Line bridge over the Whitemud? I turned off at 66th and didn't get a closer look but they had a lane blocked around the support pillars for the overpass.

Back