News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

10 million EVs were produced last year. In the next couple of years that will increase to 20 million about 25% of total world wide production of automobiles. What do you think the will do to the demand for oil? A 10% decrease in demand will have a devastating effect on the price of oil as producers scramble to secure market share. The most expensive oil will get shut in first and guess who has some of the most expensive oil? So no matter what Trudeau, Smith or Staples say the future is out of our hands.
i'm not sure it's that easy to extrapolate... firstly, a 10% decrease in the demand for gasoline would represent about a 4.5% decrease in the demand for oil in that on average 45% of a barrel of oil is refined into gasoline. secondly, oil sands isn't the most expensive oil on an incremental basis.

once the initial capital costs have been incurred, the incremental cost of oil sands derived oil is substantially less than the incremental cost of new traditional oil field expansions. oil sands production is more reliable and greener in delivering to the market than virtually all other source locations. on both of these fronts, the future might be out of our hands but we can certainly influence that by driving consumers to less efficient providers even if you choose to ignore the ethical side of the argument entirely (which is something our current prime minister seems more than happy to do :( ).

Looks like both Notley and Smith are missing the mark in sounding the alarm over Just Transition legislation by the feds - Notley saying she'd scrap it (the Bill hasn't even been written/finalized yet) and Smith saying she will fight it with every tool at Alberta's disposal.

According to oil execs from the big 6 companies, they are on board.
MEG Energy CEO Derek Evans told The Canadian Press in an interview that his worry about the transition isn't job cuts, it's a labour shortage - but this all about creating jobs and lots of them.

"I'm quite worried, let me put it this way, that we don't have enough people in Canada to get the job done," he said.

Last edited:
Looks like both Notley and Smith are missing the mark in sounding the alarm over Just Transition legislation by the feds - Notley saying she'd scrap it (the Bill hasn't even been written/finalized yet) and Smith saying she will fight it with every tool at Alberta's disposal.

According to oil execs from the big 6 companies, they are on board.
MEG Energy CEO Derek Evans told The Canadian Press in an interview that his worry about the transition isn't job cuts, it's a labour shortage - but this all about creating jobs.

"I'm quite worried, let me put it this way, that we don't have enough people in Canada to get the job done," he said.

This story is playing across the country - makes Alberta's leaders look kind of backwards.

David Staples, besides being a shitty hockey reporter, has been a mouthpiece for the UCP.
I take anything Staples says with the tiniest, smallest grain of salt. Don't forget, on par for a UCP supporter, this is a guy who can't tell the difference between a pisser and a sink.

1674145585803.png

That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen! I think he may have gotten Commonwealth’s sinks confused with the old Clark Park’s pisser trough

i'm not sure it's that easy to extrapolate... firstly, a 10% decrease in the demand for gasoline would represent about a 4.5% decrease in the demand for oil in that on average 45% of a barrel of oil is refined into gasoline. secondly, oil sands isn't the most expensive oil on an incremental basis.

once the initial capital costs have been incurred, the incremental cost of oil sands derived oil is substantially less than the incremental cost of new traditional oil field expansions. oil sands production is more reliable and greener in delivering to the market than virtually all other source locations. on both of these fronts, the future might be out of our hands but we can certainly influence that by driving consumers to less efficient providers even if you choose to ignore the ethical side of the argument entirely (which is something our current prime minister seems more than happy to do :( ).
Heard an interesting quote the other day to paraphrase “states will tolerate immortality but will not tolerate erratic behaviour “ Germany’s attitude towards Russia comes to mind. Most people don’t like green ethical decision when it comes to their pocket books only when someone else has to pay. To suggest the Oil sands is some of the greenest oil production is not really accurate it is ours and we would like to keep producing for as long as we can that doesn’t make it green.
There are approximately 1.5 billion automobiles in the world most in Asia and Europe followed by the US. The conversion to EVs is most rapid in Asia and Europe in Europe it is expected to be 65% by 2030 https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwi...ose-european-neglect-of--affordable-vehicles/ with similar numbers in Asia especially China. This means most ICE will be replaced by EVs assuming a 10 year life cycle. Automobiles consume about 50% of the oil production in the world so even if EVs make up 20% that would be a 10% decrease in demand.

There has been discussion on this thread of the various election promises for Calgary. It is interesting to see in Edmonton's provincial budget submission dated November 28, 2022 that Edmonton is asking to receive similar support as Calgary. See page 4 of the attached letter in the tweet.
I have very much not been a fan of Sohi, but I do very much appreciate him putting the province on the spot like that and highlighting the massive unequitable treatment between the two cities. While it more than likely won't amount to any action on the government's part, good on him for highlighting it front and center.

Heard an interesting quote the other day to paraphrase “states will tolerate immortality but will not tolerate erratic behaviour “ Germany’s attitude towards Russia comes to mind. Most people don’t like green ethical decision when it comes to their pocket books only when someone else has to pay. To suggest the Oil sands is some of the greenest oil production is not really accurate it is ours and we would like to keep producing for as long as we can that doesn’t make it green.
There are approximately 1.5 billion automobiles in the world most in Asia and Europe followed by the US. The conversion to EVs is most rapid in Asia and Europe in Europe it is expected to be 65% by 2030 https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwi...ose-european-neglect-of--affordable-vehicles/ with similar numbers in Asia especially China. This means most ICE will be replaced by EVs assuming a 10 year life cycle. Automobiles consume about 50% of the oil production in the world so even if EVs make up 20% that would be a 10% decrease in demand.
i think one of the things we all struggle with is comparing apples to oranges with insufficient data to make decent comparisons and there are two things that come to mind here.

the first is the inherent assumption that global numbers aren't affected by individual numbers. as an example of that, there is a big difference between global consumption and the overall efficiency of that consumption for ice engines that deliver 50 mpg vs 30 mpg vs 10 mpg.

the second is that there can be a big difference between the pollution generated individually and globally by ice engines as they are become more and more efficient with their ancillary systems and management.

the third is that we don't have sufficient information to life cycle all of the costs for ev vs ice vehicles.- manufacturing and operating and recycling - on a global scale to make the type of definitive statements that are driving current policy.

Back