The Mercury Block | 21.7m | 6s

As per Edgar's Instagram account, this building will be called "The Mercury Block"
I changed the details in the thread title, and now I'll check the database. Thank you!
EDIT: Looks like I need to add it to the database lol
EDIT2: Here we go!

Last edited:
Ground work was going on today.

20220112_165941.jpg

On this week's episode of what grinds my gears....

Why the f*ck can't this project use brick for exterior? Why are developers in this city so reluctant to ever use brick? Is masonry, and labor of, ridiculously expensive in Edmonton alone? Are market prices and rental prices too low compared to other cities to warrant the additional cost? Or do developers, and architects, just think that for whatever goddamn reason EIFS sells better in Edmonton and therefore they just keep going with this status quo??

The first page of this forum, the examples given for what the product may look like before renders came out, were all brick. @IanO posted a similar product from the same architect, that has brick. After all that, it looks like the actual project will be using EIFS....

Anyways rant off, had to get that off my shoulders lol.
I agree brick is the superior product for both aesthetics and durability but unfortunately price drives most developments in Edmonton. Depending on the size and scale brick can be twice as expensive as EIFS. It's likely they planned for brick but as a result of inflation had to cut it. Construction cost inflation over the last year has probably been at least 10% - 15%, whereas the rental market has remained flat at best. Edmonton market is a difficult game and if the build price is too high in relation to cash flows, the project just simply doesn't happen.

BC and Ontario markets have the benefit of seemingly never ending price appreciation. Developers in those markets can afford to drop $10 and $20 bills while bending over to pick up $100s so to speak.

Last edited:

Back