Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Well its better than what we've gotten so far. By no means do I think that will be acceptable if its all that happens, but sometimes we have to crawl before we can walk.
Better would be after cleaning it all up the developer installs fabric wrap on the chain link fence so we don't see the trash that will be thrown over top in the years ahead before anything is developed.

Do ya think they were waiting for that HBO production that has closed part of RWH?

^^^^ I don't think so. I know that the developers had a choice to cram in the demo process in advance of closures related to the LRT construction and I suspect that completion remains the main obstacle -- that and the fact that it is nigh on impossible to get financing for hospitality during the COVID run. Better days ahead.

Haven't heard anything about this project - the last post on this was Oct 9.
Would it be too much to hope that the podium of the new tower can resemble the late lamented Tegler?

25623-89367.jpg

Would it be too much to hope that the podium of the new tower can resemble the late lamented Tegler?

25623-89367.jpg
Whoever was responsible for Edmonton losing this building deserves a special place in hell, a 10th circle just for them.

25623-89367.jpg
I really hope so too. For a long time I hoped the Alberta Hotel would come back and for a while I thought it might never happen, but it eventually did.

So, I think we should continue to hope and encourage for this to happen too. Any city can makes mistakes, but the better ones fix them.

Well designed brutalism is beautiful! ❤️
Also, it's not like the 80s had brilliant architecture (or any fashion/design trend for that matter).
locally we would have edmonton's city hall
nationally we would have the canadian museum of civilization
internationally we would have everything from the louvre's pyramid to prague's dancing house to germany's vitra fire station to the seagram building...
as for trends and items with long-lived impact, they might not be fashion per se but the '80's also gave us dna, personal computers, mobile phones, walkmans, gameboys, and the space shuttle as well as big hair and ripped jeans.

Back