Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Drove by the construction, south of Davies station yesterday, for the second day in a week. ...
I'll probably walk downtown later this week and will try to update, with pictures, on the progress, but I was there over the weekend and it looks fairly close to completion, at least from inside the car.
Nice update! I did my bi-weekly ride of the line on my bike yesterday (it's a good long route for someone who doesn't have a car to drive out to nature with lol) and didn't even bother taking photos or anything, because like you say, there's not a lot happening. There's some landscaping/finishing work happening in Mill Woods, which is very close to completion, as you say. (the one thing i would love to know more about is the giant hole at the intersection of 38th and 66th. it's been there for months, giant crane, work happening, but no info or anything posted on the fences) Other than that, the Davies Parking lot is almost done. everything else is sitting there, 85% complete. I think you saw all there is to see from the car lol
The only new element i found appearing was the SUP on the West side of 66/75, though it's still not really useable. south of the Whitemud it's just getting started, north of it it's mostly there.

also, sidenote. very VERY iffy gossip. I heard from one of the artists doing work for the line that they are looking at opening in October. Dunno how accurate or current this info is. I see some logic in opening before snow set in, but looking at how behind areas like downtown are, I have big doubts.

Holyrood Station
F1D5BAA2-6263-4EF0-AF9C-54F2B4B41A42.jpeg
152EBF88-9D30-4056-AC70-1BFAE51EE821.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice update! I did my bi-weekly ride of the line on my bike yesterday (it's a good long route for someone who doesn't have a car to drive out to nature with lol) and didn't even bother taking photos or anything, because like you say, there's not a lot happening. There's some landscaping/finishing work happening in Mill Woods, which is very close to completion, as you say. (the one thing i would love to know more about is the giant hole at the intersection of 38th and 66th. it's been there for months, giant crane, work happening, but no info or anything posted on the fences) Other than that, the Davies Parking lot is almost done. everything else is sitting there, 85% complete. I think you saw all there is to see from the car lol
The only new element i found appearing was the SUP on the West side of 66/75, though it's still not really useable. south of the Whitemud it's just getting started, north of it it's mostly there.

also, sidenote. very VERY iffy gossip. I heard from one of the artists doing work for the line that they are looking at opening in October. Dunno how accurate or current this info is. I see some logic in opening before snow set in, but looking at how behind areas like downtown are, I have big doubts.
Last week, I drove by much of the route on the south side and so much of it looks ready to go. October would make very good sense and I hope it happens.

Unfortunately, sense and timing for large projects do not always go hand in hand and even if it is +90% ready, areas where things are behind could hold it back.

The downtown, Tawatina Bridge and Churchill Connector sections are moving slower than a snail on molasses. I doubt a 2021 opening will be happening with a spring 2022 opening more likely, but I'd like to be wrong.
And they can't use weather as an excuse because this has been one of the hottest summer I've experienced in my 37 years in Edmonton.

Quick update: It seems to me like they're doing a major push towards finishing up the section between Muttart and Argyll. Had to drive past there again yesterday and there were A LOT of laborers doing stuff in all of the stops. Also, the last f the new pavement is being poured all around (the only major intersection still not done is 82 Ave and 83 St). In the two days between my drive-bys, they've done a lot of work in the area. I wonder if next will be moving the laborers to the next section, which would be Wagner Rd area.

Back