Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Property tax calculator is here: http://taxestimator.edmonton.ca/ if anyone is bored. 290 units in Legends total. No idea how you find the average though without FOIP'ing the city.

As per the link, the residential property assessment class includes single-family homes, condominiums, townhouses and other properties of three or fewer dwelling units.

Most expensive listed unit in Legends is $45k a year in property tax (assuming assessed value is similar to sale price). Yikes.

Last edited:
Best to use the "other residential' tab in that tool - our city still inexplicably applies a higher mill rate to multi-family residential.

Adjusting this would be one of the easiest things to do to start to encourage densification. Obviously it will take more than property tax rates to achieve our infill goals, but this is just about the lowest 'low-hanging-fruit' you are ever going to find.

Best to use the "other residential' tab in that tool - our city still inexplicably applies a higher mill rate to multi-family residential.

Adjusting this would be one of the easiest things to do to start to encourage densification. Obviously it will take more than property tax rates to achieve our infill goals, but this is just about the lowest 'low-hanging-fruit' you are ever going to find.
Well, by that metric, the same unit is $52k a year in property tax. Plus 3500 in condo fees. Still, a relative bargain if you are paying for the place in cash.

Last edited:
Hope they'll proceed soon but with a new design. A cheap looking design could throw off the whole look of the ICE district. They did alright with the others (although Stantec could of been way better). Keep it in the same standard as JW or don't bother until you have the capital to do it right.

60F76FF6-A5EA-4A4A-B5AF-C9EAFEDBF5AC.jpeg

I will miss this vantage point of this impressive arena design which will be gone when the tower is eventually built.

I guess the best view will be from the north.

Good point. The smaller podium does allow a better view from the south and west. If someone came from out of town after the podium was completed they might not even realize the development is actually not really finished.

Meanwhile, I desired towers north of the arena (two around 15 floors to coral it.
YOU MUST COMPLY TO MY CHOICE... RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!
Going to need to be 20+ story towers to make it visible. Other wise they will hide the arena from the North and not be visible from the south side unless you’re far away.

Given what they paid for the Greyhound site, they will have to add a tower to even being to realize any returns from that investment.
Ian is there a time frame or limit on when construction has to start on the tower if it seen differently then the podium for the grant/tax break to be applied?

I think we will know more in the fall, if they haven’t started on the tower by then atleast they should make an release saying their going ahead with it soon. The Ice District is big on their PR!

Going to need to be 20+ story towers to make it visible. Other wise they will hide the arena from the North and not be visible from the south side unless you’re far away.

Understandable... but you also don't want towers to directly hover over the arena for aerial aesthetics down the road. That is a 3/4 billion showpiece, so it better be shown. You want a cascade affect, so towers north of this idea would increase...

Back