7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Around Edmonton

View NW from the Hendrix:
View attachment 267978
I was trying to get a shot of 121 West, but it's a little too hard to make out for me to reasonably post this in the thread for that project I think. :p

Great pic. Makes we wonder though about zoning. There is a clear drop off in tall buildings and no clear "nodes" visible anywhere to the NW.

Last edited:
@tkoe_ Yep, planning and zoning of neighbourhoods built after 1950s or so heavily favoured low density single-family housing. Thankfully that has and continues to change.

Appearances are a bit deceiving, though: there are numerous 3-4 storey walkups in that area, but our amazing canopy of green masks their presence.

Great pic. Makes we wonder though about zoning. There is a clear drop off in tall buildings and no clear "nodes" visible anyone to the NW.

i guess it depends on what you mean by nodes. if you consider westmount centre to be NW rather than west, it is a decent node, especially with coronation park next door. skyview is a significant shopping node, despite its low density. and then there's st albert centre plus st albert's downtown.

however one thing i notice about the northside (north of the yellowhead specifically) is that it really lacks the high-rise nodes of apartments, condos, and office towers like you see elsewhere in the city. places like southgate/empire park, meadowlark, windermere, calgary trail/weber, WEM, spr/142 st, capilano/50th st, etc. there's some shorter, more mid-rise apartment blocks around belvedere and northgate, but otherwise the northside is exceedingly low density compared to other parts of the city.

i never really got why this was the case. i feel like the flight paths from the former city centre airport are an easy answer but that didn't stop downtown and oliver from having (stunted) high rise development. maybe there isn't a reason and it's just coincidental. but it continues to this day. like there is no high-rise construction or proposal north of the yellowhead aside from in st albert, which is a different kind of environment.

@dunno hopefully this changes with Metro Line Northwest! I would imagine that areas like Beumaris and a few other townhome sites along the route would be the first to redevelop.

@dunno hopefully this changes with Metro Line Northwest! I would imagine that areas like Beumaris and a few other townhome sites along the route would be the first to redevelop.

probably would've had stronger redevelop potential (not to mention access to services people regularly use) if it went down 137th in skyview rather than through endless tract housing in castle downs. but yes, it is a weird thing how very little high rise development there is north of the yellowhead.

probably would've had stronger redevelop potential (not to mention access to services people regularly use) if it went down 137th in skyview rather than through endless tract housing in castle downs. but yes, it is a weird thing how very little high rise development there is north of the yellowhead.
Just a quick sketch of what the height/density overlay for the northend was probably like.
1599582787328.png

again, flight paths didn't stop downtown and oliver from developing high rises. there's huge stretches of the NE completely outside of flight paths. like why didn't they build high-rises at clareview in the early-mid 2000s instead of just those low-rise condos?

@archited Yep; future home of:

I didn't realise that all of the sub-structure was already in place for the Epcor adjacent high-rise building!
the entire 9.5 acre site was master planned at the beginning of the project. epcor tower was simply the first phase in implementing that planning and it included many of the longer term project needs. the north parkade is simply the most visible of those. it was - and remains - quite rewarding for those of us who were involved in that process to see how valid and how flexible that planning and those measures have proven to be.

Back