News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

West Edmonton Mall

I believe the parkade repairs are done. The heavy crane has come and gone. Unless there are other areas needing major repairs.

A couple of deck panels were replace. I was by a few weeks back and saw some that had lifting cables still attached.

1576693241669.png

This image makes me think this was a misscheduled April 1 announcement.

Go directly to Jail; do not pass "Go" ? Goofy as this one is, at least WEM is trying to support retail and hospitality with entertainment. Maybe they could redo Mall flooring with Monopoly squares. My little pink pony is going to headline the carousel figures?

The more I think about it, the more the Hasbro deal had potential to make WEM a fresh tourist destination, not unlike Legoland, or a Harry Potter theme park.

If they do it well.

Seems very similar to the Nickelodeon Universe at the American Dream mall which the Ghermizians recently completed. https://nickelodeonuniverse.com

Not terribly surprising I assume it will come with a price increase to customers however it should rejuvenate a part of the mall that's been lacking love for a while.

Matt Dutczak (Best Edmonton Mall on youtube ) will be having an event to showcase the history of West Edmonton Mall.
January 28, 2020

Hey folks, as I am still quite interested whats the mall like these days? At this point it seems clear that many malls across NA particularly in the US are dying, I'm sure it's not the case that WEM or any of the major malls in Canada (most CF properties, Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Metrotown etc.) however I am curious what folks think.

Is WEM in decline? Do you see a major redevelopment in the future? Housing development?

The latter is something we are seeing in a lot of locations (also proposed for the CF Chinook Centre), and WEM has tons of parking and IIRC an uglyexterior facade

@Reecemartin I personally think that West Ed is not impervious to the Mall carnage that is happening but it is one of the few malls that can survive. West Edmonton mall's greatest success is that it is not just a shopping mall, it is an entertainment hub with a water park, amusement park, movie theaters, aquarium, bowling, mini golf and more.

This is the top 10 busiest shopping centers in Canada in 2018.--------------------------------------------- This is the top 10 busiest shopping centers in Canada in 2019
1580741345320.png
1580741434913.png

And this is how the USA compares to Canada. ( Note 291.0 million more people live in United States compared to Canada )
1580741625187.png

Now the top mall for visitor count in North America is the Eaton Centre. Now Toronto has a Population of 6,139,000 according to the 2019 census which is around 6 times the population of Edmonton 972,223.
Now West Ed is getting a annual visitor count of 30 million which is 30 times of Edmonton population. So If you take the population of Eaton Centre which gets 52.3 million annual visitors they only get around 9 times the population of Toronto.
Now West Ed in my opinion is Edmonton's greatest tourist attraction and with that it might be impossible to get rid of. Triple 5 group is making a fortune off of their 3 maga malls in NA and I don't think that the fall of retail in NA will affect it.

With the question of does West Ed need a housing development. I do not think it is necessary for a housing project to be Incorporated into the property. The new LRT will give access to the people in the south side and downtown to West Ed with the new proposed LRT stop.

Sorry for the rant by the way.

All of the sources come form the Retail council of Canada ----------} https://www.retailcouncil.org/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-03 07.43.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-03 07.43.58.png
    60 KB · Views: 267
  • 1580741316112.png
    1580741316112.png
    341.8 KB · Views: 238

Jan 31, 202020201Commercial FinalTo construct Interior Alterations to west edmonton mall for the new location of Ricki's. WEM CRU K203

Back