Falcon Towers | 170m | 44s | Langham Developments | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is exciting for a number of reasons!

E. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS (November 21, 2017)
Langham 104 (Rezoning)
10027-104 St, 10019-104 St, 10318A-100 Ave
Pre-consultation
Nola Kilmartin - Kennedy

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/EdmontonDesignCommittee_November_7_2017_Agenda.pdf

dnp4t5wv4ae-up2-jpg.126083

I'm exceptionally excited at the prospect of seeing the 104 St. promenade, and our downtown expansion in general, extend southward and eating up yet more surface parking lots!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 585
Last edited:
@Daveography, I share your excitement. Maybe it also includes the Freemasons' Hall and the property south of your outline. Two things to get excited about jointly include Langham Developments as developer and Kennedy as Architects -- the Pearl and the Symphony are in both portfolios. So I expect to see the surface parking disappear and at least two new towers rise on the site(s) that should be additional landmark projects for the City.

@archited The addresses don't appear to encompass the corner lot or the Freemason's hall.

Kennedy's projects may not be mindblowing designs, but they grok urbanism and how to do street-level, and their designs do get better with every new project. Langham, meanwhile, is a solid company that gets things done. A great combo and something to be excited about as long as the proposal sticks to those basic strengths, even if it doesn't set out to win any architectural awards.

The site is definitely sized for accommodating another twin-tower concept a la Fox and Icon, both of which are Kennedy designs and both of which are also abutting 104th Street. Look for a great extension of the pedestrian feel of this street. It's time to transform the Milner Building into a work/live edifice.

The site is definitely sized for accommodating another twin-tower concept a la Fox and Icon, both of which are Kennedy designs and both of which are also abutting 104th Street. Look for a great extension of the pedestrian feel of this street. It's time to transform the Milner Building into a work/live edifice.
As someone that worked in Milner in the past, it is a dump. One of the oldest office buildings in Edmonton though.

I love Milner, it's one of my favourites, and possibly our best piece of International Modernism (sorry CN Tower). Needs some care and attention, though, losing it would be utterly unacceptable.
It might be that way from the outside, but it isn't from the inside. Care and love is an understatement. You can work there for three years and then let me know how much you like the building. Hahha.

Many years ago I had a commission to design offices in the Milner Building for International Utilities (probably going by some other name now in this world of buyouts and mergers). Milner has great floor-to-floor heights and would make an absolutely fantastic conversion project to work/live units, especially as it is located along 104th Street -- one of Edmonton's premier "walking" streets. It has good pedestrian presence at grade and would make a significant addition to the retail/hospitality functionality of the area. After Milner, I would look at knocking down the parkade across the street for a more sensitive development there.

Hearing two towers, 37 & 40 stories, two-story podium. I'm told the tower balconies will resemble something like One Bloor East. There's a bit of a challenge with access, apparently though, as the laneway only exits on the south, and intersects the bike lanes.

Last edited:
So, construct two deadman features on either side of the bike lane, causing auto traffic to cross the lane very slowly.

Back