News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

The Edmonton Elks - CFL

Re the CFL -- I agree with most of the sentiment expressed here...
Near term Halifax team would add balance to East and West and potentially bring some eager excitement into the existing league.
Following Halifax I would see adding Saskatoon (larger market than Regina in an arguably more progressive City) with potentially more enlightened fans that would fill a new stadium; that paired with Quebec City (mon Dieu -- those fans would be absolutely rabid).
While these two were working towards entry I would then see a strategic entry of two American locations -- Anchorage Alaska (left out of most other American possibilities -- again I could see these fans lit up big time; that paired with Syracuse, New York (the red-headed step-child of New York State Cities). At this point I could imagine the CFL well on the way to self-healing, especially if Edmonton had a brand new domed stadium.
After that, the order matters less aiming for 11 teams each, East and West.

This new stadium will be all for naught if they still insist on using artificial turf instead of real grass. For all intents and purposes artificial turf is what killed the World Cup bid for us.
No artificial turf -- real grass (shade tolerant variety supported by open (adjustable) roof plus augmented LED UV lighting -- e.g. Zenith Zoysia grass). And as an experimental touch that adds colour I would plant ajuga reptans in the end zones and non-playing areas of the field. Further I would look for some contrast for other "Field" events (High Jump, Pole Vault, Hop-step-and-jump, Broad-jump, Discus, Hammer throw, and Shot-put) by employing different sand colors.

Last edited:
That with Hariri Pontarini for mixed use tower elements including a hotel/condo tower, a condo tower and a residential rental tower...

... Personally I prefer Canadian football with 4 downs and a more expansive field and it is sad to see the slow decline...
personally, i'm wondering where to watch canadian football with 4 downs - it would probably make for a pretty exciting game!

as for adding 13 more teams:

1. i'm not sure there is sufficiently [willing] talent to add that many teams.
2. i'm not sure home attendance for the existing teams would go up if you're swapping saskatchewan and hamilton for boise and billington and fargo as examples.
3. i'm not sure how you would source the travel [or pay for it].
4. i’m not sure how you would schedule your two divisions or your playoffs.
5. I’m not sure how you would get fan or media coverage between two american divisional finalists competing for the right to play for the grey cup in billings.

You're right of course... better to just leave things the way they are.
of course that’s not what i said is it?

i can see adding 3 teams to three down canadian football - say quebec city, halifax and victoria?

i can’t see adding 13 where american teams would outnumber canadian any more than i can see adding your fourth down.

i noted what i saw as some problems with your proposal - if you have any actual answers other than insults i’m all ears.

Last edited:
The 4-down comment was an error -- obviously I was trying to underscore the difference (trust you to rub it in) and as to your travel comment have you considered how far apart Victoria and Halifax are? And in my suggestion I had proposed 9 U.S. teams versus13 Canadian teams -- how is that more U.S. than Canadian? It's not your ears that I have a problem with.

I am going to post this in 3 locations (thanks 'O for the precedent), relevant to the MacU expansion, a downtown impetus for accelerated development, and additional oomph for both the CFL in general and the Edmonton Elks specifically. This location for a new stadium has a series of positives:
-- incentivize central Edmonton Development (on steroids); transitional as the ICE District has proven/is proving to be.
-- brings massive crowds to the centre of the City supporting both Retail and Hospitality growth.
-- boosts interest in the Elks helping to prop up attendance locally and creating promotional interest in the CFL
-- increases opportunity for a professional Soccer team franchise (could happen concurrently with the announcement of a new stadium build-out)
-- provides an athletic venue for Track and Field and International competitions
-- provides a Sports Venue for MacU and for NorQuest college students (similar to Rogers Place arena).
-- in its build-out can provide a world class venue for major concert venues (year-round)
-- puts Edmonton on the map (once again) as a major sports venue
-- enables the repurposing of Commonwealth Stadium as a specialized Winter and Summer X-games venue with build-out of infrastructure that promotes that end, making it the World premier venue for X-games (a win:win solution)
View attachment 522459
That'd be a cool idea. Personally, I've always dreamed of those industrial buildings on 106, 107 and 108 streets between 105 and 106 avenue to become something like Yaletown in Vancouver. Maybe a little bit of a Hamilton street vibe on either 106 or 107st. I would love to see a new stadium in the Quarters to help fill that giant void.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/24/i...e-facing-team/

‘I’d build a new stadium’: Elks’ president views Commonwealth as ‘number one’ issue facing team

The Edmonton Elks have launched a committee to review the franchise’s ownership structure, but a depleted trust fund is not the only problem facing the organization.

Team president Rick LeLacheur pointed to an aging Commonwealth Stadium for its role in the current crisis.

“We need some very high investment into this stadium if this stadium is going to go forward as a CFL stadium,” LeLacheur said, noting that this was his own personal belief and not the club’s official position. “It’s been the love of the CFL for a lot of years, it’s had a lot of events here, but it’s not the stadium of the future that we have in Regina and Winnipeg and Hamilton and Ottawa.”

“If there was an unlimited amount of dollars, I’d build a new stadium. That’s what I’d do, but I don’t have that kind of dollars.”

Opened in July of 1978 ahead of that year’s Commonwealth Games, the stadium has served as the home of the Edmonton Football Team since launch, replacing the adjacent Clarke Stadium. The venue has undergone several renovations and expansions since its initial construction and currently seats 56,302 people.

Attendance at Elks games has diminished greatly over the past two decades, falling from an average of 41,228 in 2003 to 22,239 in 2023. Almost half of this decrease has occurred in the past five years as the club averaged attendance of 31,107 in 2018.

“It’s too big for today’s environment in the CFL and the type of seats that you can sell,” LeLacheur said. “You can sell suites, you can sell party decks, we’ve seen it in those other cities. Groups are a very important part of ticket sales for a CFL team, so we’re going to be looking at everything.”

The Elks’ current lease for Commonwealth Stadium runs through the 2027 season after the team agreed to a five-year extension with the city last offseason. That deal provided for the temporary waiving of licensing fees to take some financial pressure off the franchise.

The club announced in October that they will be closing the upper bowl for games beginning in 2024, reducing their capacity to 31,000 in an attempt to create a more intimate and engaging gameday experience. Even still, LeLacheur believes that Commonwealth presents unique challenges on the business side.

“The stadium’s been great for all these years, from ’78, but you look around the CFL now and even by closing the top deck, we’re going to be the fourth largest stadium,” he remarked. “We know it’s got the track that a lot of stadiums don’t have, we know it’s got the pitch that’s a lot more gradual slope than other stadiums. That’s probably the number one (issue) I’ve seen and we can still deal with it but we all have to work at it together.”

Edmonton recently went 1,415 days without a home victory, setting a new North American professional sports record of 22 consecutive home losses. The previous mark of 20 games was set by the St. Louis Browns of MLB in 1953. That had a noticeable impact on revenue, as the franchise posted a $3.3 million net operating loss in 2022 as attendance plummeted 9.1 percent.

Since 2019, the team has reported losses of $12.6 million, with another hit of approximately $4 million expected this season according to LeLacheur. The community-owned franchise is now actively investigating private ownership to provide the capital investment needed to thrive beyond the 2024 season.

In a dream scenario, that would include the deep pockets necessary to create a more appropriate home venue.

“It’s not going to happen overnight, I fully understand that,” LeLacheur said. “But if you could get a new facility where you could play CFL football and Canadian Premier League Soccer, then that fits for both and the more days you get in a facility, the better off you are.”

---

Commonwealth lacks modern amenities, but has boxes, some 'loge', onfield 'suites' etc. and is amazing when full...

BUT is set back quite far from the field and is a bit tired overall.

HOWEVER, we didn't cancel our season tickets because of any of those things, for that decision was WHOLLY based on their pathetic on field performance, idiot management/leadership and neglect of season ticket holders value proposition vis a vis other cheaper options.

Make the team a winner and thank season ticket holders and you are 75% of the way there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.13.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.13.14 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
i’m not sure what to think but it’s only a one year deal…. my initial reaction is that it might be good for tres ford’s development for the two of them to play alongside one another.

Back