News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Scona Garage Revitalization | ?m | 3s | Hodgson Schilf Evans

I live near by and have been waiting for years for something good to happen here. It is a nice historic building and while the Keg being there for a long time was ok, I think its leaving opened up the opportunity to do more here. One of the advantages smaller local companies have is to spot opportunities like this. Good news.

"The first floor, nearly 8,500 square feet, will offer up to six retail spaces available for lease, and will include a large overhead door reflecting its automotive roots. A brochure suggests a brewery, restaurant and coffee shop as ideal tenants.

The second floor, which was mostly used for storage while The Keg occupied the building, will contain 20 boutique rooms used as a combination hotel and short-term residential rentals, according Beljan.

“Under-utilized landscaped areas will be recreated into practical patio space. After extensive interior and exterior renovations, the building will breathe new life into the area,” reads the online project description...

Beljan does not have a projected date for opening but told CTV News Edmonton the restoration work would likely be finished by the end of 2021."

Not much going on outside, but some pictures of the building as it is now for posterity's sake:
IMG_20210121_181707_017.jpg

IMG_20210121_182035_789.jpg

Last edited:
Early car dealership designated historic resources

April 6, 2021

Two buildings that contribute to the public and private stories of Edmonton’s past have been designated historic resources by City Council.

During the Strathcona Garage's 30 years of operation, the automobile transitioned from a luxury item available only to the elite to an attainable dream for many Edmontonians. On the other hand, the Nye residence marked a new beginning for a young family looking for opportunities in a young country.

The Strathcona Garage was built in 1912 in the Queen Alexandra neighbourhood. Although the building itself was relatively simple in its design, it featured embellished ornamental features like arched entrances with decorative keystones and crenellated parapets to reinforce the prestige of car ownership.

“I can imagine what it might have been like in its heyday for working people to walk by that showroom and see the latest models of cars and wonder if they would ever have the chance to own such a remarkable piece of technology,” said Principal Heritage Planner Scott Ashe.

The Strathcona Garage is a fine example of an early 20th century car dealership with commercial services on the first floor, including the showroom and repair facilities, and apartment suites on the second floor.

Last edited:
Here's another article about this.

What sort of market is there for short term rentals? Edmonton defines it as when one rents a building or living space for 30 consecutive days or less. I'm sure Beljan did their homework, but I'm honestly a bit surprised that there's such a demand for short-term rentals that all of the living spaces in this building can be dedicated towards that market.
my guess is that it would be reasonably strong in that location given it’s not far from cross cancer, kaye clinic, mazankowski heart institute, university hospital etc, all of which serve the northern half of the province and the territories and those patients can be here for enough time for family members to want to be close. it’s also an option for festival performers and crew from folk fest to the fringe and visitors in general who might want something s bit more personal and independent than a hotel room. it’s the same market canterra was going to build to until they couldn’t get approvals and we got a two story shoppers drug mart instead.

What sort of market is there for short term rentals? Edmonton defines it as when one rents a building or living space for 30 consecutive days or less. I'm sure Beljan did their homework, but I'm honestly a bit surprised that there's such a demand for short-term rentals that all of the living spaces in this building can be dedicated towards that market.
Based on the many Airbnbs offering stays between 5 and 30 days, id say there seems to be a market! I have a few friends that seem to have no issues constantly renting their windermere townhouses for 2-4 weeks at a time. Not sure who is renting those, especially so far south? But apparently it exists!

my guess is that it would be reasonably strong in that location given it’s not far from cross cancer, kaye clinic, mazankowski heart institute, university hospital etc, all of which serve the northern half of the province and the territories and those patients can be here for enough time for family members to want to be close. it’s also an option for festival performers and crew from folk fest to the fringe and visitors in general who might want something s bit more personal and independent than a hotel room. it’s the same market canterra was going to build to until they couldn’t get approvals and we got a two story shoppers drug mart instead.
Tourists should be at the front of your list.

Old Strathcona is definitely the best area of the city for walkable tourism and I don't doubt that there will (after COVID) be a large demand for accommodation experiences that are different than the Meterra, for example. This is an innovative idea by Beljan and hopefully it will help showcase some of the unique aspects of Edmonton that visitors often don't get to see.

Apparently it's very good and a growing segment of the overall accommodation market. To clarify we're not the operators of the hotel, its with a tenant who is leasing the space.

Apparently it's very good and a growing segment of the overall accommodation market. To clarify we're not the operators of the hotel, its with a tenant who is leasing the space.
Thanks for the clarification! And yes, the others here have done an amazing job of explaining the potential users of such accommodations. Thanks for brining new life to this historical resource; it's wonderful that you've helped to save it from the wrecking ball :)

I don't know what the market for such short term accommodation would be, but I would guess there is a market there especially in the Strathcona area. As a historic area with a lots of retail, arts and culture and the nearby University, but not with a lot of nearby hotel space I think there could be enough demand.

Home-security entrepreneur buys Union Bank Inn and three other notable buildings

Feb. 28, 2022 · The Pulse
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Comments

The Union Bank Inn has been sold to a local entrepreneur who is hoping to revitalize and bring new energy to the historic building, which has been a fixture on Jasper Avenue since 1911.

“The idea is to honour its history, really pull out the roots of what the Union Bank was,” said Henok Kassaye, the new owner, who is taking over a business that’s been closed for the majority of the pandemic.

Kassaye said he bought the Union Bank Inn along with three other properties: the Scona Garage off Whyte Avenue, the Harvest International building on 109 Street, and 10507 Saskatchewan Drive (the former Incite marketing building). All four were listed by Omada Commercial.

Back