Hat at Five Corners | ?m | 24s | Cidex Group

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Bird's-eye view of a "rectangle with bolted on balconies" courtesy CTV's David Ewasuk. Quote from Councillor Scott McKeen who, too, was hoping for something different from Cidex and NORR.
Cidex Corners Aerial Mock-up.png

Attachments

• Cidex Corners Aerial Mock-up.png
    Cidex Corners Aerial Mock-up.png
    359.4 KB · Views: 1,115
Anyone know what happened with the 110 Street Condo project that was supposed to be on the same agenda?

What I saw at EDC was decent. Six storeys with two-storey units in the front and normal one-storey units in the back. There's a playground proposed on the north side of the building which will always be in the shade which I thought was odd. Large patios/balconies, and top units have roof-top patios. Ground floor patios would go right to the property line, which EDC seemed concerned about. Overall 8/10. Good development for the area.

Flipping through the Calgary forum, I can't help but notice the similarities between this project and this one going up in Calgary's East Village:
https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/database/projects/hat

That one's still under construction so doesn't give much indication what the finished product will look like, unfortunately. Looking at NORR's Calgary projects, they're a bit hit & miss it seems. Some good, some less so.

I forget where I read it @Daveography, but NORR or Cidex were boasting that the Edmonton project would look like "the Hat". I, for one, couldn't understand the boast because the Hat in my opinion is nothing to doff at. NORR as a world-class architectural/engineering firm can do better than this and we shouldn't condone half-hearted efforts, especially in OUR EDMONTON.

EDC July 18 Minutes:

B.3. The Corners (DP Application)
NORR - Christiaan Odinga
P. Spearey read the comments of the Development Planner.
MOVED: C. Craig Motion of support with the following condition.
Provide an Administrative Walk-on to the Committee which, because the plaza is a work-in-progress, more fully resolves the program, design outcomes, detailing (including universal design) and opportunities for public art within this important space. The specific forms and geometries illustrated in the package do not appear to respond strongly either to the building, site or the history of the area. This plaza should set a design precedent for this important intersection and needs to respond to its unique aspect as well as the City’s Winter City strategy.
SECONDED: T. Antoniuk
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: R. Labonte, C. Craig, T. Antoniuk, F. Cavaliere, M. Figueira, H. Mapstone, A. Zepp
OPPOSED: S. Kaznacheeva

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/PDF/MinutesJuly18.pdf

EDC Aug. 1:

B.6. The Corners (Development Permit Application)
NORR - Christiaan Odinga
P. Spearey read the comments of the Development Planner.
MOVED: H. Mapstone That Administration continue to work with the Applicant to advance the plaza design based on the comments previously made by the Committee. The Committee suggests that the Applicant consider the public art to be an integral design element of the plaza and influence the further evolution of the plaza design.
SECONDED: F. Cavaliere
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION:R. Labonte, T. Antoniuk, F. Cavaliere, D. Deshpande, M. Figueira, S. Kaznacheeva, H. Mapstone, A. Zepp

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/PDF/EDCMinutesAug1.pdf

Great news is it holds true!

A Calgary developer, Cidex, with experience building towers around North America, now controls the site and was just awarded a development permit.
In some ways, it’s early days. The development permit can be appealed.
But the proposed 24-storey tower, with 199 units, reinforces the confidence most of us have in the transformation of the greater downtown.
The building will sit on what is termed the Five Corners Site in The Quarters Area Redevelopment Plan.
If no appeals are filed, Cidex — a company with a solid reputation — plans to begin work on the tower’s foundation in November.

http://www.scottmckeen.ca/a_good_news_corner

Back