News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Farmers Market

Not surprisingly the Federal CEBA loan was mentioned in the article. In the struggle to repay this by the Jan 2024 deadline, I suspect a number of businesses and organizations have exhausted any cash or reserves they have.

Its fairly clear to me the current Federal government does not really understand or appreciate the struggles smaller organizations and businesses continue to face. I expect there will be a flurry of bankruptcies and closures over the next several months related to this.

Read the last 2 or 3 paragraphs

GEPj5nBa8AAmLzf

Apparently the 97 St. location wasn’t enough of a draw to get the original customers of the 104 St. location to go an additional 6 blocks east plus attract people from outside of Downtown with the free parking. Sucks, but it is what it is. If more people lived in Boyle Street/Quarters then it may have worked out.

Apparently the 97 St. location wasn’t enough of a draw to get the original customers of the 104 St. location to go an additional 6 blocks east plus attract people from outside of Downtown with the free parking. Sucks, but it is what it is. If more people lived in Boyle Street/Quarters then it may have worked out.

Too bad that 97 st location was not able to take advantage of the new LRT stop nearby during the busier summertime at the market.

Interesting as well that free parking wasn't really a factor helping this market versus when it was at 104 Street and people did have to pay for parking nearby (or was Saturday street parking free at that time?).

It goes to show what a draw the location was. The selling point of the 104th Street market was the freedom to roam a pretty street in the open air, with brick buildings enveloping you and little cafes and restaurants to pop into if you so desired. The old Army & Navy building, while kind of a cool space itself, is really surrounded by desolation or institutional bleakness (Brownlee, Law Courts, Old Remand, etc.). If you wanted an indoor market experience, why not just go to Bountiful or Old Strathcona at that point?

It goes to show what a draw the location was. The selling point of the 104th Street market was the freedom to roam a pretty street in the open air, with brick buildings enveloping you and little cafes and restaurants to pop into if you so desired. The old Army & Navy building, while kind of a cool space itself, is really surrounded by desolation or institutional bleakness (Brownlee, Law Courts, Old Remand, etc.). If you wanted an indoor market experience, why not just go to Bountiful or Old Strathcona at that point?

And even for an indoor market, the Old Strathcona is likewise in a beautiful setting, in proximity to Whyte Ave and all its offerings. the A&N 97 Street building was, like you say, not in such attractive environs.

We are so suburban in our thinking, we really need to work on that and get over some of our hang ups about some parts of downtown

It was an interesting old building and actually worked well for the market. In almost any other place this would have been a success and attracted a good crowd, but 97 Street is apparently too scary for many here.

The 104 Street location is fine and I suppose will probably do well, but it is a shame what was actually a good idea did not work out.

We are so suburban in our thinking, we really need to work on that and get over some of our hang ups about some parts of downtown

It was an interesting old building and actually worked well for the market. In almost any other place this would have been a success and attracted a good crowd, but 97 Street is apparently too scary for many here.

The 104 Street location is fine and I suppose will probably do well, but it is a shame what was actually a good idea did not work out.

I did go to this market often and I liked the building but the overall experience compared to what was created on 104 st was not the same and something many people missed - and then as more and more vendors started to vacate it including big names like Kuhlmans it even hurt the vibe more. The 104 st market attracted people from all over including Sherwood Park because of that unique, quality experience and setting.

I noticed this past summer though that the open streets on 104 st didn't have the same vibe or crowds as the previous year and fewer vendors. Maybe it was in part due to the smoke. I know at least one weekend had to be cancelled.

They really made a big mistake moving away from 104st. I wonder if those who made the decision now recognize what a mistake it was. Sad to see the demise.

It's a bit more layered than that though from my perspective.

*let me state that these are my basic observations and are not involved or intimately aware of details by any means.

Keep in mind that they were wanting a year-round venue/space to provide greater stability for vendors and create a proper home; City Hall was far from ideal during the winter. The City saw a benefit of helping provide some stability and so they worked with them to get into the former A&N and secure FREE PARKING.

Unfortunately, the location was not particularly great for those of us who live Downtown as it was not near the areas of significant residential density, a few blocks too far for many who wanted to walk and still had perception baggage for some.

Their summertime experience was sub-par at best and really was a letdown given their previous product. Sure, on a few windy or cool days the inside space was pleasant, but given the former experience on 104st with brunch places, cool coffee shops and overall vibe, it simply led many to find another option.

Here's hoping something new can bloom from this and regain what it used to be have/be.

Wishing the group all the best, as it continues to be a major loss for the core and one of the reasons many truly enjoyed urban living.

It's a bit more layered than that though from my perspective.

*let me state that these are my basic observations and are not involved or intimately aware of details by any means.

Keep in mind that they were wanting a year-round venue/space to provide greater stability for vendors and create a proper home; City Hall was far from ideal during the winter. The City saw a benefit of helping provide some stability and so they worked with them to get into the former A&N and secure FREE PARKING.

Unfortunately, the location was not particularly great for those of us who live Downtown as it was not near the areas of significant residential density, a few blocks too far for many who wanted to walk and still had perception baggage for some.

Their summertime experience was sub-par at best and really was a letdown given their previous product. Sure, on a few windy or cool days the inside space was pleasant, but given the former experience on 104st with brunch places, cool coffee shops and overall vibe, it simply led many to find another option.

Here's hoping something new can bloom from this and regain what it used to be have/be.

Wishing the group all the best, as it continues to be a major loss for the core and one of the reasons many truly enjoyed urban living.
I think someone had thrown out the idea before, but the lobby of the new 103ave pavilion…would that ever be feasible for 20 vendors to do a winter market?

Seemed to work well for the Christmas market and crafts during the winter event DBA hosted. Just off 104st, so it keeps the location consistent.

104st seems like the only viable location for this for the next decade. It’s the only differentiator. Free parking, a good indoor building, etc are fine at a micro scale, but zoom out and realize those are all done by the other markets. So why try to compete on the same value propositions? Let the urban, downtown experience be the sell.

They would have been better off negotiating free LRT from 9am to 4pm on Saturdays for the sake of the market/downtown vs free parking in boyle street…

If the downtown farmer's market does return to 104 St then they will need to contend with the Valley Line West LRT construction for the next 3 or 4 years.

Back