News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Commonwealth Stadium

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Upgraded washrooms and crowd flow improvement for major events were some of the most talked about items that needed addressing. Good to see the start of items being tackled from the recent master plan. Talking about the master plan, is there a reason it would be kept private and not released to the public? There is very little information about it online.

After their failed World Cup bid, upgrading the field from AstroTurf to natural grass is a must-do. That to me should be a higher priority than fancy washrooms.

I was looking through the 2023-2026 Edmonton Capital Budget and saw $1.2 million for Commonwealth Stadium Equipment which mentions improvements to the concessions and stadium suites (pages 113-116). More interestingly, it appears (my interpretation may be off) there is $69,485,000 set aside that is split between the Library Parkade, Northgate Lions Senior Centre, Peter Hemingway Leisure Centre and Commonwealth (pages 190-194). Not much in way of specifics, other than mentioning structural, mechanical, electrical and telecommunications renewal. https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/2023-2026CapitalBudget.pdf

Although things looked great with a full crowd last night, by many accounts the concourse situation was a total nightmare.

Also another random thought, I wonder if anyone with Explore Edmonton or whoever would have been leading the bid charge previously is working the phones trying to get Edmonton back in as a host for the 2026 World Cup with Sofi Stadium dropping out in LA.

Article mentioned Las Vegas as a possibility and certainly can't compete with that facility but always worth the discussion reminding folks that Canada was intended to have 3 host cities. I think most have moved on and the likelihood so small perhaps best not to reopen that old wound though.

It was hit and miss with concessions, but it was odd that the Elks normal merch areas were left empty. Overall, a pretty fun day.

Heritage Classic - 29Oct23.jpg

The stadium could absolutely benefit from some circulation improvements, even if just at entry and exit. LRT and Park and Ride busses drop people off on the east side of the stadium so that side is often overwhelmed.

Overall though, I think the Heritage Classic was a great event and well put on. I am so glad I got to attend. Hopefully the City can attract more of these types of events (big concerts, Heritage Classic, Canada v Mexico types) to program the stadium more than just Elks games.

Although things looked great with a full crowd last night, by many accounts the concourse situation was a total nightmare.

Also another random thought, I wonder if anyone with Explore Edmonton or whoever would have been leading the bid charge previously is working the phones trying to get Edmonton back in as a host for the 2026 World Cup with Sofi Stadium dropping out in LA.

Article mentioned Las Vegas as a possibility and certainly can't compete with that facility but always worth the discussion reminding folks that Canada was intended to have 3 host cities. I think most have moved on and the likelihood so small perhaps best not to reopen that old wound though.

That and the expanded format to 104 games... but who knows.

The Provincial government also pulled the plug on a 2030 Commonwealth Games bid, and now the 2026 edition needs a replacement too with Melbourne dropping. Post-pandemic austerity is making everyone hesitant about putting money into extravaganza showcases...

That and the expanded format to 104 games... but who knows.

The Provincial government also pulled the plug on a 2030 Commonwealth Games bid, and now the 2026 edition needs a replacement too with Melbourne dropping. Post-pandemic austerity is making everyone hesitant about putting money into extravaganza showcases...

Heard from Coun. Cartmell on this as I brought up the news of LA dropping out.

He said to be honest, Edmonton doesn’t have the support of Soccer Canada. A lot of trust was lost, and the city’s finances are much different now, too. And he has no idea if we would still have provincial support anyway - as noted, the Commonwealth Games bid was suddenly pulled by the province.

Soccer Canada led the city to believe something and did an about face. This Toronto/Vancouver centric executive seems to have also lost the confidence of both the women's and men's national teams and its been showing in our results from the past year.

Heard from Coun. Cartmell on this as I brought up the news of LA dropping out.

He said to be honest, Edmonton doesn’t have the support of Soccer Canada. A lot of trust was lost, and the city’s finances are much different now, too. And he has no idea if we would still have provincial support anyway - as noted, the Commonwealth Games bid was suddenly pulled by the province.

Soccer Canada led the city to believe something and did an about face. This Toronto/Vancouver centric executive seems to have also lost the confidence of both the women's and men's national teams and its been showing in our results from the past year.

Yah I gathered as much from the news -- the article below sums things up pretty well. The other thing was what I called the 'poison pill' requirement of five games that Provincial support hinged on -- can't help but think if that money would have no strings attached if it were Calgary bidding instead.

Truth be told, I'm not entirely sad about the whole affair. It really is not the best time to splash out money on these sorts of things with all the belt-tightening nowadays.

Back