Manchester Square | ?m | 2s | 76 Group Co | Gardner Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
These lights at night actually look really nice.

lights.PNG

I pass by here in the evenings after sunset sometimes, I always see lots of groups of people hanging around and taking pictures. I have seen some people set up a speaker and dance (is it still called breakdancing?), others just chilling out with their friends. I think the most interesting group I saw was a wedding photoshoot maybe a few weeks back. Seems like the place is already attracting a lot of positive attention!

I kind of wish this project was named something along the lines of ''Little Amsterdam''. Maybe then it would receive less negative feedback? I know that there are other components of this development that take away from its authenticity, but overall, I personally think this is still a great project and definitely a huge step forward for Edmonton in the sense that it is unlike any other strip mall.

I'm honestly considering taking down the YouTube video I made on this project like 2 years ago. I can't believe I'm saying this but like this project now 🤷‍♂️

I kind of wish this project was named something along the lines of ''Little Amsterdam''. Maybe then it would receive less negative feedback? I know that there are other components of this development that take away from its authenticity, but overall, I personally think this is still a great project and definitely a huge step forward for Edmonton in the sense that it is unlike any other strip mall.
Still a strip mall with a parking lot.

Not going to lie, when most of those CRU's are full, I'm probably going to find myself there. And with a brewery available, I'm sure multiple times.

Still find it funny that the only breweries in the neighborhood worth going to (Arcadia, Odd Company, and soon-to-be Irrational Brewing) are not actually in the Brewery District.

Well I say let's see how busy it gets before really judging this development. If the strip mall fills with little to no vacancy and customers fill the parking lot than the concept should be considered successful.

If vacancy is high and nobody frequents the mall than maybe the idea wasn't good.

@Edmcowboy11 There are many definitions of "success" that can be measured. South Edmonton Common is a retail and commercial success, but is an abject failure of good urban design and planning, and those failures have consequences (e.g., to traffic, sustainability, tax revenue, etc.).

Manchester Square, I have no doubt, will also be a retail and commercial success. But it is also a failure of good urban design and planning, as it is still a single-use strip mall that people will overwhelmingly drive to use, while contributing nothing to housing in this part of the inner city, which also reduces the taxation potential of the land for city coffers.

It is also arguably a failure of good architecture, but that's a more subjective and difficult conversation to have.

@Edmcowboy11 There are many definitions of "success" that can be measured. South Edmonton Common is a retail and commercial success, but is an abject failure of good urban design and planning, and those failures have consequences (e.g., to traffic, sustainability, tax revenue, etc.).

Manchester Square, I have no doubt, will also be a retail and commercial success. But it is also a failure of good urban design and planning, as it is still a single-use strip mall that people will overwhelmingly drive to use, while contributing nothing to housing in this part of the inner city, which also reduces the taxation potential of the land for city coffers.

It is also arguably a failure of good architecture, but that's a more subjective and difficult conversation to have.

How do you give a comment multiple likes? 🤔

Back