Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

An LRT train has been parked on the Tawatina Bridge all day.
Catenary in the vicinity of 100A St was de-energized for a portion, or all of the day. I was just in the area when they were removing the grounding cables later in the afternoon. Section isolators are arranged such though that trains could turn back at the Churchill Stop.

key points for those who can't/don't want to watch the video:
- 'root cause analysis' is almost complete into figuring out why the piers are cracking
- 'lateral thermal forces' (not sure what that is, but i guess it's weather-related) are impacting the piers, with 21 piers affected. further analysis is needed to rule out any other causes.
- design work for solutions has started, will be a few more weeks at least until anything definitive is released to the city (dunno if that will be public, he doesn't say so specifically)
other than that, not a lot of information there, given it's the CEO in the video, I was hoping for more details and a bit more progress.

Today from my car. Don't judge the dirty glass.
D85EB647-41EB-4959-BB60-F4FAC33005E5.jpeg
C73A7074-D93E-4311-9360-B8CE9C1A12BC.jpeg

So, one day left this week and the two trains haven't moved from the bridge.

While I haven't checked the past 2 days, power was off Downtown again on at least Tuesday with EPCOR doing work near 101 St with a bucket truck, and TransEd/ contractors working at Churchill.
CDN Power Pac has been around 31-34 Ave during the day, and at night there's been a lot of concrete cutting at 31 Ave and area. In the mean time, I haven't seen/ heard anything running on the southside.

It's kind of surprising the amount of work still being done. Remember, a lot of this is happening within the trackway. The 31 Ave work might be possible if single tracking was done. Ditto Downtown. I would imagine Edmonton has something similar to Ottawa where TransEd will have to operate the line simulating full service for a period of time. Ottawa was 12 or 14 days, and I don't believe they ever met the required reliability targets, so they started to change how the targets could be met.

Even without the piers issue, TransEd would not have met September 4th, and I don't think they would have met a September 21ish "technically still summer" date. Fortunately for them? They have one big issue to blame while they work on all of the other smaller issues.

Even without the piers issue, TransEd would not have met September 4th, and I don't think they would have met a September 21ish "technically still summer" date. Fortunately for them? They have one big issue to blame while they work on all of the other smaller issues.
Blaming one big issue while doing a whole pile of other stuff seems to be how Transed operates. Look how long they blamed the concrete in the river for the delays - yet they're replacing 3 sections of guideway and a section of the bridge over the whitemud, but "It's the concrete in the river we didn't know about!!!!"

Blaming one big issue while doing a whole pile of other stuff seems to be how Transed operates. Look how long they blamed the concrete in the river for the delays - yet they're replacing 3 sections of guideway and a section of the bridge over the whitemud, but "It's the concrete in the river we didn't know about!!!!"
Yeah, at this point who really knows anymore, but it seems to have lurched from one problem to another, some self inflicted. It doesn't say anything good about the capabilities of anyone associated with this project.

Back