Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

It's the largest project in the history of the city. There are bound to be cascading setbacks

How does one account for mystery slabs in the river
Is it a mysterious slab? I had a friend mention about barges being tied up along the river and it shouldn't have been a surprise anyone that there would be concrete in the river in this area.
1924.jpg
This 1924 image shows objects in the river, including something that looks like it could have been in the right place to interfere with the cofferdamn for the north pier.
1930.jpg
This 1930 image shows the objects in the river much clearer. Although there appears to be something visible in the same location as the area circled in red, it isn't as well defined as other objects.
By 1943 all objects in the river in this area were no longer visible.
Clearly, if anyone had properly done some research they would have known there were objects sunk into the riverbed in the 1920's in the vicinity of this bridge.
My source for these images? Edmonton Archives website. https://cityarchives.edmonton.ca/aerial-photographs-1
I would imagine there are even more years of aerial photos available in person that could provide even more information on what these objects were and what they were used for.
It's not like this was hard to research.
Related to this, I had recently gone through the EIA for the Latta Bridge and Smith Crossing replacement projects and I was appalled at how little effort when into tracking down easily accessible historical aerial photos.
Both reports came to the November 16, 2021 Executive Committee meeting: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeeting...-b3a0-c61f3628f49e&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English

Latta Ravine:
"2.2 Historic Conditions
Historical aerial photograph review was limited to available City of Edmonton pictometry imagery for 2007, 2013-2018 and 2020, as well as Google Earth (2020) imagery that spanned the period of 2002 to 2020. Very little change in development was observed on the available aerial photographs in the Latta Bridge area and vicinity during this period as this area of the city and the river valley is located in Central Edmonton and has been developed for decades."

Smith Crossing:
"2.2 Historic Conditions
Historical aerial photograph review was limited to the photograph series available on Google Earth (2020) for 1985, 2002 to 2020 and City of Edmonton SLIM Maps pictometry (2007, 2013-2018 and 2020)."

It really surprised me that the oldest imagery that these consultants reviewed was what was on Google Earth.
And I would hope that TransEd didn't just rely on Google Earth for their investigation of the historical conditions around the bridge.

Speaking of gong shows...

Maybe the city just hasn't implemented their snow clearing strategy for this winter, but oh boy are they going to need to figure something out for when it's operational. The street graders have been clearing the snow into the LRT ROW and landscaping leaving windrows that need to be cleared by skid steer, closing the street and probably killing half the landscaping. The stops all have plywood up against the glass rails to prevent the windrows from damaging or breaking them. Over the summer I was questioning how well this line would be winterized and so far it looks like they forgot we get winter.

One would think that you would have taken advantage of this winter with it being non-operational to fine-tune things such as this...

That said, when they don't have a snow removal plan for Rice Howard Way in the middle of our CBD, why should we expect coordination on that scale?

Speaking of gong shows...

Maybe the city just hasn't implemented their snow clearing strategy for this winter, but oh boy are they going to need to figure something out for when it's operational. The street graders have been clearing the snow into the LRT ROW and landscaping leaving windrows that need to be cleared by skid steer, closing the street and probably killing half the landscaping. The stops all have plywood up against the glass rails to prevent the windrows from damaging or breaking them. Over the summer I was questioning how well this line would be winterized and so far it looks like they forgot we get winter.
I drove down there the other day and was thinking the same thing. Road snow is going to end up on the ROW and then the ROW is going to be cleared and it's going to end up right back out on the road.

Speaking of snow removal - I wonder what Transed has procured to handle the task? I've seen a few skid steers with brooms on them, however they all appeared to be contracted or rentals. ETS has the Cameleon vehicles to clean out the embedded track sections. . They also have the two truck mounted snow blowers , as well as the Typhoon snow blower they rebuilt.

They haven't been doing any testing since probably October. Since the first rail grinder went through I haven't seen any LRVs on line. Nothing can be tested south of the OMF as the high load contraption is still flipped up. Snow hasn't been cleared from the tracks in a long time either down on the south end of the line.

Back