The Clifton | 55m | 15s

Nope. He didn't.

I think he is saying in a market like Edmonton where the average downtown condo is around $350K, it can be jarring for people to contemplate someone spending $5M+ on a unit...But that same exponential difference in value exists in every market, even NYC where the average condo price may be $2.5M but there are offerings on the market for $250M.

Except that it is NYC.
Doesn't matter... Anywhere will have outliers in the market, and they tend to be relatively proportional.
There's definitely not a market for a whole strip of high-rises with $5M+ condos in Edmonton, but there's definitely a market for a few units (damn, we're talking what? 7, 8 units... in a relatively large, wealthy city, in the wealthiest (per capita) province of the country...).

Don't get me wrong here, I love the project, location, renderings and development, but find the pricing outrageous.
Then don't buy it. Simple.
If there are people willing to pay for it, it's not outrageous. This is also not a social project or something that will affect people's lives, so being outraged by it doesn't really make sense, IMO. I'd be outraged if they were renting out affordable housing units for high prices, or increasing property taxes to subsidize suburbia, or spending endless amounts of money ineffectively on our police department.
A rich person's expenditure is honestly the least of my concerns.

Back