• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A planning application (map) has been received for properties at 10434 91 Street NW and 10438 91 Street NW.
The application proposes to rezone the properties from Low-Rise Apartment Zone (RA7) to Site Specific Development Control Provision (DC2).
This application proposes a DC2 zone which would allow for a six-storey, 75 unit residential apartment building.
The applicant is proposing to base the DC2 upon the standard RA8 Zone, with changes to density and minor changes to built form.
Reference File Number: LDA19-0005

This one was at EDC yesterday. It's proposed to be market affordable housing, most of the cost savings coming from having no parking structure (but very generous secure bike parking), and using a modular building system. It looked pretty basic, with the exception of a two-story glazed volume for amenities, facing south toward the river valley.

The site is currently home to the 1906 West Residences, which the EDC was told are basically on the verge of collapse.

Last edited:
C.1 RL20 Affordable Housing (Rezoning)
Victoria Mantha-Blythe - Next+ Architecture

MOTION: D. Brown
Motion of support with conditions

The Applicants need to provide an improved set of documents which ensure that the text,
the appendices and the drawings all provide consistency throughout - our specific
concerns include the following:
● Clarification regarding the prominence and pedestrian scale of the proposed front
entrance;
● All landscape edges, private/public transitions and screening on all sides of the
building needs to be consistent;
● Clarify the purpose of the public or private access of the east walkway;
● Clearly identify, in text, how the development will respond to the historic nature
of the site through the use of adaptive reuse of materials (eg. doors, landscaping,
exterior materials); and
● Clearly identify a strategy for the provision of barrier free access to enter the
building.

SECONDED: D. Deshpande
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: W. Sims, C. Holmes, M. Figueira, A. Zepp, D. Deshpande, S.
Kaznacheeva, D. Brown, A.Benoit

1575405732809.png

Proposed rezoning in Boyle Street neighbourhood
December 3, 2019

Edmontonians are invited to a drop-in engagement session to learn more about a proposed rezoning along 91 Street NW, north of Jasper Avenue NW.

Date: Tuesday, December 10
Time: 6 – 8 p.m.

The proposed rezoning from a Low Rise Apartment Zone (RA7) to a Site Specific Development Control Provision (DC2) would allow development of a mid-rise residential building with a significant reduction in on-site parking.

The engagement session will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and share your views with the City and the applicant. Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council for a future Public Hearing.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/riverlot20rezoning

Regarding the Design Brief,
I haven't seen a condition regarding transit passes before, "transit passes provided to residents for at least 3 years" . I find that somewhat interesting.

The fact that the West Residence has no historic designation is troubling, as is it`s inevitable "date with a Track Hoe" . More of our built history will be lost to what I consider an unexceptional design. I do like some elements of the proposal but hard to calibrate just yet.

The West Residence is one of Edmonton's few surviving Queen Anne homes.
The West Residence is located in the Boyle Street neighbourhood, and is one of only a few surviving homes in an area that has largely been redeveloped with walk-up and high-rise apartment buildings. Although subdued, compared to other examples of Queen Anne architecture found elsewhere in Alberta, the West Residence bears many of the distinguishing characteristics of the style, such as its asymmetrical façade, steeply pitched cross-gable roof, full-width front porch, gingerbread trim and conical tower.
The West Residence was built around 1906, and was named after William West, one of Edmonton’s earliest residents. West walked to the city from Winnipeg in 1881, driving a herd of cattle. As a stone mason he was involved in the construction of Edmonton’s early buildings, including the 1882 Jasper Hotel, which is thought to be the first brick building west of Winnipeg. William West lived in the home with his wife from its construction in 1906 until at least 1914.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your going to replace something that's over a century old — and in this case, one of the very few examples of its style — than the replacement should be something spectacular. Not getting that from these renderings, though I'd be willing to wait for more detailed ones to come out before casting complete judgment.

Absolutely, I refuse to accept that the house can't be saved.
Agreed, it's a solid brick home. If it was some ratty, rotten, wooden Foursquare or something I could see the case for demolishing it, but to me the idea that any day now its just going to fall over seems pretty far fetched at best and malicious at worst. I know you can't completely judge the structural integrity of a building just based on its outside appearance, but the West Residence still looks halfway decent, and again, the idea that its guts are so far worse just seems unlikely. It is also interesting to note that the shingles on its roof were redone not too long ago, and two windows on the second floor were replaced within the last couple years.

And honestly, if it is truly uneconomical for a developer to both restore and build around it than donate it to Fort Edmonton Park. They've taken threatened homes in the past (the most significant being the Rutherford and Firkins homes) that were in equally bad shape.

Here's a semi-recent picture from last spring;
West Residence.jpg

Last edited:

Back