Encore Tower | 138m | 43s | Westrich Pacific | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Calgary will be Calgary.

Edmonton needs to continue to push its affordability angle, quality of life and share the many of the things that makes it attractive, ie. river valley, WEM, Oilers, Old Strathcona, UofA, festivals, quality public schools etc.

Had lunch with a homebuilder last week that told me their same 2200sqft model is now $270,000 more in suburb Calgary compared to suburb Edmonton. He thinks the delta will grow above $300,000.

Don't think we will see a real estate boom as large as 2023 Calgary, but there is no doubt that the price per door difference between the two is going to push a lot of purpose built rental investment up the road.

I still think a lot of the retail buyers coming from BC/Ontario/International will prefer paying the premium to stay around Calgary given the proximity to mountains, more established downtown, more flight options from YYC
Much of the historical pricing difference of around $100,000 to $150,000 between Edmonton and Calgary was due to size and age of housing stock. More housing was built here from the 1940's to the 1960's and it tended to be smaller.

But the difference is becoming considerably larger now. People coming from elsewhere may not initially know all the ins and outs of Alberta real estate, but once they figure out they can get a place for much less here, some of the enthusiasm for Alberta's higher priced city may wane.

Calgary will be Calgary.

Edmonton needs to continue to push its affordability angle, quality of life and share the many of the things that makes it attractive, ie. river valley, WEM, Oilers, Old Strathcona, UofA, festivals, quality public schools etc.
Yes, in my opinion it is a lot easier to access the river valley here regularly than drive to overcrowded Banff from Calgary. It is great for people who enjoy being outdoors, walking, hiking, biking ...

We sometime forget there are a lot of nice condos here overlooking the river valley, so they also have a nice view, as well as being close to it and they are very affordable compared to elsewhere too.

Much of the historical pricing difference of around $100,000 to $150,000 between Edmonton and Calgary was due to size and age of housing stock. More housing was built here from the 1940's to the 1960's and it tended to be smaller.

But the difference is becoming considerably larger now. People coming from elsewhere may not initially know all the ins and outs of Alberta real estate, but once they figure out they can get a place for much less here, some of the enthusiasm for Alberta's higher priced city may wane.
There are ample Edmonton blogs on YT that foreigners actually comment to ask questions between Edmonton and Calgary pertaining to affordability...

Back