Douglas Manor Addition | 23m | 6s | ROIS Investments | David Murray

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
It is really matter of fact with most of these 'fires' and reinforced by nearly all of the previous incidents, that's all. Edmonton has quite the track record with these incidents and historic buildings.

However, it is heartwarming to see this going a different direction.

8C948691-1960-4CEF-A663-866CB54910A3.jpeg

All bricks have been removed. Not sure what’s going to happen next. Anyone?

Retro insulation and interstitial repair before re-bricking and properly pointing grout as an improved more serviceable finish (using as much of the original material as possible).

Retro insulation and interstitial repair before re-bricking and properly pointing grout as an improved more serviceable finish (using as much of the original material as possible).
The building will be disassembled and rebuilt in the same design using as much of the original material as possible:

470038367.png

^^Thank god. I've been watching this for a while, feeling very nervous. there's no way the original (wooden) structure is still viable, given the fire took the entire top floor and all the water damage. recreating it is the best option at this point. i'm betting any original interior features are also long gone as well. building new is a better, safer way to maintain the presence of this building at this point.
sidenote, does anyone know the history of this building? when was the brick added? it's clearly not original, looking at the walls underneath, and that makes me wonder what other modifications took place, and when.

^^Thank god. I've been watching this for a while, feeling very nervous. there's no way the original (wooden) structure is still viable, given the fire took the entire top floor and all the water damage. recreating it is the best option at this point. i'm betting any original interior features are also long gone as well. building new is a better, safer way to maintain the presence of this building at this point.
sidenote, does anyone know the history of this building? when was the brick added? it's clearly not original, looking at the walls underneath, and that makes me wonder what other modifications took place, and when.
Apparently the brick was added in 1941 based on the heritage report prepared for its designation as a Municipal Historic Resource.

Not sure what this old brick apartment was called but it was the one in garneau at 83 Ave and 108 street corner that had a fire last year. Seemed like they were going to try and restore it but I guess it couldn't be. It is no more.

image000000(5).jpg

^The Douglas Manor
I think they will be proceeding with their plans to some degree, sure hope so.

BP:

2023-12-06
Commercial Final
To completely reconstruct an existing 3 Storey Building and to construct a 6 Storey Addition on an apartment building. (Total number of Dwellings to be increased from 18 to 57). --"Douglas Manor"--
B1, 10757 - 83 AVENUE NW
$4,918,965

Back