Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Absolutely terrible news. I really want to know how this thing started and hope it was not nefarious in nature.

The % of fires in historic/character properties is outrageous.

Awful stuff.

Shovels were to have been in the ground this summer.
How did this thing get started???

It started with a lack of imagination, a lack of commitment and - most seriously - an abandonment of regular use and a lack of proper maintenance.

Absolutely terrible news. I really want to know how this thing started and hope it was not nefarious in nature.

The % of fires in historic/character properties is outrageous.

Awful stuff.

Shovels were to have been in the ground this summer.

Shovels in the ground this summer?

A few months ago, you said this project was dead. See below from January.

Screenshot_20240423-121625_Samsung Internet.jpg

Was there a different project with the Hangar starting construction?

The major financial partners backed out of the project and those that remained did not have the wherewithal to make it happen. It will be interesting to see what an investigation turns up in terms of fire starter. A big chunk of aviation history is now ashes -- this site should have been protected 24/7!

Shovels in the ground this summer?

A few months ago, you said this project was dead. See below from January.

View attachment 558641

Was there a different project with the Hangar starting construction?

The really ambitious residential project, food market, maker-spaces etc. died last year and as archi mentioned, a major investor pulled out, but I believe the new plan was far more practical and realistic. Unsure of details, but will see what I find out next time I chat with him.

I’m just angry about this. This hangar was right next to NAIT and the Jefferson Armoury, and it could have put lives in peril.

Last edited:
I’m just angry about this. This hangar was right next to NAIT and the Jefferson Armoury, and it could hav put lives in peril.
If you want something to be angry about, the city considered demolishing the hangar to make way for the Blatchford redevelopment project (because Edmonton doesn't have enough vacant land, even in Blatchford!). Those plans were put on hold after protests from numerous heritage advocates who fought to preserve the building.

In 2021, the city then considered keeping the building and leasing the space but determined the project would be too costly, estimating that a full restoration of the building was expected to cost between $55 million and $83 million. The issue is less whether those were accurate estimates or not, the issue is what kind of proper maintenance ends up with that kind of price tag in order to utilize an existing building?

It's called demolition by neglect.

Back