Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I hope so too. This is just my personal preference, but walking around in Sherwood Park and north Edmonton has really cemented my distaste for this style of house.

View attachment 391116

Desirability for me goes:
Nice detached infill > nice row houses >> all the rest
I have a particular distaste for these as well.
My preference would be:

Downtown condo, downtown townhome (preferably in the podium of a tower), downtown adjacent condo, downtown adjacent townhome.

Anything else I might as well just live under a bridge, as I'd probably like it as much as the other options. The very idea of living in a single family detached house and/or anywhere further than a 10min drive from downtown makes me wanna puke.

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Status
In Progress
Permit Address
2755 - BLATCHFORD ROAD NW
Description
To change the use from a Minor Impact Utility Services to Community Recreation Services Use, and construct exterior and interior alterations to the existing Blatchford air traffic control tower (adding landscaping and 8 bike racks).

This is the old airport parking garage attached to amiskwaciy academy - new fire station?

Description:To rezone from MA3 to PU
Type:REZONING
Application ID:425731526-002
Decision Date:
Application Date:4-MAR-2022
Public Hearing Date:
Current Document:Current Document
According to the Blatchford website, there's a spot along 121st earmarked for fire or police. The land near the academy is marked for schools, but I don't know if either division has plans for that.
Screenshot_20220420-231136_Chrome.jpg

This is the old airport parking garage attached to amiskwaciy academy - new fire station?

Description:To rezone from MA3 to PU
Type:REZONING
Application ID:425731526-002
Decision Date:
Application Date:4-MAR-2022
Public Hearing Date:
Current Document:Current Document
When I was out at Blatchford a few weeks ago I noticed a number of people walking around the parking structure taking photos and making notes.

Schools fall under the Urban Services Zone, whereas this zoning proposal is for Public Utility. "The purpose of this Zone is to provide for a system or works that is used to provide for public consumption, benefit, convenience or use such as water or steam, sewage disposal, public transportation, irrigation, drainage, fuel, electric power, heat, waste management and telecommunications." I left a voicemail with the city planner listed to see if he can tell me what the intention is here.

I got a call back from the city planner. He confirmed that the fire station is slated to go on the property next to Amiskwaciy Acadamy, where there's currently a large parkade. The land next to it is still slated for schools as per the map on the website. He speculated that the parkade will be demolished to make room for the fire hall.
Screenshot_20220422-104200_Maps.jpg

I got a call back from the city planner. He confirmed that the fire station is slated to go on the property next to Amiskwaciy Acadamy, where there's currently a large parkade. The land next to it is still slated for schools as per the map on the website. He speculated that the parkade will be demolished to make room for the fire hall.
View attachment 394816
If I could I'd love to explore that old parkade before it's gone, take some pics of the view at the top during a warm summer sunset.

I'm not gonna do it 'cause trespassing yknow, but still

I took some pictures yesterday.

Carbon Busters is finally making progress on their home!
20220426_171053.jpg

Every unit in this row was already sold - same goes for the other side of the street, except for one unit. Before this, I had never seen units get snatched up so quickly. I think it points to what I stated previously: Things are starting to pick up now that show homes are open, the first people have moved in, and other potential buyers don't need to blindly trust "the vision" of Blatchford.
20220426_172700.jpg20220426_172448.jpg
See if you can spot Blatchford Gates Station (left) and NAIT Station (right) in these potato quality photos! I just wanted to give you folks a sense of where they are in relation to phases one and two of Blatchford.
20220426_172813.jpg20220426_171630.jpg
Misc pictures
20220426_172552.jpg20220426_172637.jpg20220426_172539.jpg20220426_172522.jpg20220426_171514.jpg20220426_171340.jpg20220426_170856.jpg20220426_170914.jpg20220426_171208.jpg20220426_172421.jpg

Starting to coagulate.

Another 10 rows of these and we will finally have something there and some critical mass to accelerate interest in the area.
Looking at the last picture I posted, with the streetlights and prepped land spread out, I don't think we'll need to wait too long for those rows to be built out.

Starting to coagulate.

Another 10 rows of these and we will finally have something there and some critical mass to accelerate interest in the area.

It seems there are about 7 to 8 houses in each row from those pics - so that's about another 70 to 80 homes that need to be sold to hit some critical mass to accelerate more interest in the area.

With how Blatchford is going, how long do people think it will take to sell 70 - 80 homes?
A) 3 years
B) 4 years
C) 5 years
D) ___ Other (state how many years)

Has the multi-family apartment Malmo(?) started construction yet? That would really help the area too.

Back