Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Glenora section of the tracks (Groat Rd to 142st): underground utilities seem to be about half completed. Dug-outs freshly covered up on about a 1/3 of the length. From today:
IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

I was walking around 104th ave yesterday and I have to say, I really hope the VLW completely transforms this area once it's built. The areas around 104th ave, i.e. the North side of Wihkwentowin/South side of Queen Mary Park are getting lots of nice low-to-mid-rise density which is great, but 104th itself is essentially a suburban stroad lined with tired looking strip malls. This shouldn't be the case and, imo, the best thing would be for Long Street and Unity Square malls to be redeveloped into mixed-use 6-8 storey buildings which face the road. This entire area would feel very urban and tied together if this happened and a TON of housing could be built along a major transit route.

I might draw this idea up/make it in SketchUp and share it if I have the time to show y'all what I mean

I was walking around 104th ave yesterday and I have to say, I really hope the VLW completely transforms this area once it's built. The areas around 104th ave, i.e. the North side of Wihkwentowin/South side of Queen Mary Park are getting lots of nice low-to-mid-rise density which is great, but 104th itself is essentially a suburban stroad lined with tired looking strip malls. This shouldn't be the case and, imo, the best thing would be for Long Street and Unity Square malls to be redeveloped into mixed-use 6-8 storey buildings which face the road. This entire area would feel very urban and tied together if this happened and a TON of housing could be built along a major transit route.

I might draw this idea up/make it in SketchUp and share it if I have the time to show y'all what I mean
I honestly kinda see 104 Ave being similar to Spadina (or maybe St Clair Ave) in Toronto, it's a big stretch but it's the closest equivalent I can see happening.

Edmonton has three key routes to West Edmonton (102, SPR, 107). The Valley Line will be another non-car route.
This is blatantly false.

From SE Central Edmonton Groat road is often my most used route to WEM, followed by Fox Drive via Belgravia Road.

Last edited:
This is blatantly false.

From SE Central Edmonton Groat road is often my most used route to WEM, followed by Fox Drive via Belgravia Road.
Groat….which leads to 107ave…???

And sure, the whitemud and henday also get you to the west end and a ton of people use those. But those all require going down and around if coming from central Edmonton.

Groat….which leads to 107ave…???

And sure, the whitemud and henday also get you to the west end and a ton of people use those. But those all require going down and around if coming from central Edmonton.
Yep that is what I said… Groat Road. 25 min from my house to WEM currently

IMG_6577.png

Yep that is what I said… Groat Road. 25 min from my house to WEM currently

View attachment 560445
Buddy.

You said “this is blatantly false to need 102, SPR, or 107” to access the west end from downtown.

Then you proceed to show a map with 102 & 107 both on it…. “Groat” is only the small section connecting river valley road to 107ave. You’re literally proving the point of the guy you claimed was wrong…

8009F97B-CB25-4598-89A3-62D9BECDACF7.jpeg

Back