Hat @ Old Strathcona | 66.14m | 20s | Cidex Group

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How far is this tunnel? Would that not constraint traffic even more as you can't drive on it while construction takes place. What is expensive to buy ...tunnelling, mono rail, TRAM? If mono rail is chosen, we could look at a 2 for1 with Maglev mono running below the viaducts while vehicles on top. The advantage of Maglev mono is that they are automatic and they suspend therefore not much stress caused to the infrastructure, so that would allow for a mini freeway on top of the viaduct. I wouldn't doubt extra integrity would have to be Added, but if you get 2 for 1, I would be laughing. They are just ideas thrown out. You're looking at one option underground. How would you know underground is the best? Do you have a study on cost metrics for all form of transit pertaining to what we are discussing, or is that a gut hunch? If it is the latter, I won't buy that. The best is the cheapest numbers for quality built, and all options should be carefully reviewed. Further to this, how would this proposal help this site's area for further development? How will Millwoods line be affected with tunnelling? Will this intersect cost more as we have to perhaps dive deeper. It would definitely cost more, for it will be a major stop. If you go deep you pay more for accesses to above ground.
Whatever is chosen, it has to integrate with this development going on here, as I could see more towers around this area.
Construction only affects traffic if you do cut-and-cover. If you.bore the tunnel, you don't have this issue,
You can also have the tunnel running under either 83 or 81 Ave, with exits on Whyte, and not disrupt transit there.

Elevating a whole line on Whyte would simply kill it's vibe, be completely foreign to what it's built to be. Would be practical? Probably. Cheaper than tunneling? Certainly.
But it doesn't make sense in a place supposed to be a historical piece, of sorts.
Not to mention how hard it would be to build the stations, the amount of stuff you'd need to year down for this.

No, monorail would not add quality, for the needs of Whyte. We either build it at grade or we do underground, there, if we want it to still be what it is.

Just to derail this more, Issues you do have is Vibration from the tunneling equipment. Prior to the South Capital line expansion, the CoE contracted the firm I was with at the time to review every resident and commercial business along the route to Heritage station and look for cracking or settling prior to the work. Something that should be done to any work being done adjacent to another structure.

Just to derail this more, Issues you do have is Vibration from the tunneling equipment. Prior to the South Capital line expansion, the CoE contracted the firm I was with at the time to review every resident and commercial business along the route to Heritage station and look for cracking or settling prior to the work. Something that should be done to any work being done adjacent to another structure.

From my perspective as they're boring and forming etc, I would Imagine the above lanes would be closed for the fact it will vibrate and potential interfere from below.

Anyways, what ever option chosen, I prefer ground option -hybrid bus/train or low rise tracks- and it has to spur this area. I'm all game for more higher densities like this highrise will be.

Regarding a large station, one just has look at how the legislative grounds are built. It straddles over a road. A downtown station across the high level bridge would suffice, for the station can replicate that concept over both directional streets connecting right into the legislative grounds. What a way to welcome visitors. With the amount of real estate's just north of the bridge, I can see three tracks would be possible.
There is an area just west of 109 Street and north of the Legislature that is still relatively undeveloped.

I think it would be a good potential spot for a HSR or commuter rail station and could integrate with or be close to the existing Government Centre LRT station.

Regardless what happens to the High Level Bridge, a new bridge will need to be built in the future. If HSR or commuter rail happens, that may lead to a new bridge happening sooner rather than later.

I realize this is still somewhat off topic so I'll try get back to it. A HSR or commuter rail station in Strathcona would also make sense and may spur more high density developments like this in the area.

downtownstation.jpg

Right here!

There is an area just west of 109 Street and north of the Legislature that is still relatively undeveloped.

I think it would be a good potential spot for a HSR or commuter rail station and could integrate with or be close to the existing Government Centre LRT station.

Regardless what happens to the High Level Bridge, a new bridge will need to be built in the future. If HSR or commuter rail happens, that may lead to a new bridge happening sooner rather than later.

I realize this is still somewhat off topic so I'll try get back to it. A HSR or commuter rail station in Strathcona would also make sense and may spur more high density developments like this in the area.
I lived in that area and very familiar with what you're talking about. It is an out doing parking slot, and this envisioned into the potential three tracks lay outs as I intimated. Straddle over the street for the station where the entrance is on the Legislative ground side. The LRT underground path to the Ledge is already directly below. In the future, the High Level becomes a pedestrian usage with small shops and dining and out door farmer's market etc. It has potential as the new bridge would have to be built. Perhaps the track on top of the high level can maintain with that antique train to tie it to this current development and the area...

Construction only affects traffic if you do cut-and-cover. If you.bore the tunnel, you don't have this issue,
You can also have the tunnel running under either 83 or 81 Ave, with exits on Whyte, and not disrupt transit there.

Elevating a whole line on Whyte would simply kill it's vibe, be completely foreign to what it's built to be. Would be practical? Probably. Cheaper than tunneling? Certainly.
But it doesn't make sense in a place supposed to be a historical piece, of sorts.
Not to mention how hard it would be to build the stations, the amount of stuff you'd need to year down for this.

No, monorail would not add quality, for the needs of Whyte. We either build it at grade or we do underground, there, if we want it to still be what it is.

Also even if there is an effect on traffic, it only lasts as long as construction. Granted it would take some time, but it's either something that's disruptive for a few years or something that's disruptive forever.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 7.12.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 7.12.31 PM.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 25

Back