Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this report, but the ETS branch status report going to the ETS Advisory Board today contains this little nugget on the VLSE:

Valley Line Southeast Update
The City and TransEd are working closely together and Valley Line Southeast is anticipated to open in fall 2023, as final testing and independent certifications occur. TransEd submitted the required documentation to the independent certifier (IC). The IC will then need approximately 2-3 weeks to complete their independent review. Once TransEd has received approval from the IC (anticipated for the end of September), the City will decide on an official opening date for the Valley Line Southeast.

So is the gantry crane going to be incrementally adding segments OVER 170th St during certain times, ie, intersection will be closed at night to facilitate? Or will they be status quo and just keep adding like no-one's business?

So is the gantry crane going to be incrementally adding segments OVER 170th St during certain times, ie, intersection will be closed at night to facilitate? Or will they be status quo and just keep adding like no-one's business?
My guess is that traffic will be diverted to the east side during construction of the west section, and be moved to the west side once the gantry crane begins the east side.

The west side will be tensioned before traffic can resume underneath. I can't see anyone being permitted under a suspended load.

This is just based on my understanding of the post tensioning segments.

I don't recall extended road closures when Skytrain construction crossed major roads in Vancouver. They probably had overnight closures for segment lifting and tensioning but allowed traffic to drive under static segments.

Pictures going west from Misercordia until 178th St. It seems so much quicker than Trans Ed.
20230926_140448.jpg20230926_140604.jpg20230926_140609.jpg20230926_140630.jpg20230926_140818.jpg20230926_140840.jpg20230926_140901.jpg20230926_140942.jpg

I think part of the challenge with the SE segment was the challenge with the CPR tracks, and other obstacles. The Gantry crane lifts smaller loads, and is more mobile. The SE line had more streets to cross (98 Avenue, Argyll, Coronet, Wagner, 75 Street, along with Whitemud Drive. Of course, there were other challenges.

Yes. They will close 1 side of 170 over night, and shift traffic onto the other side. They can lift the segments and hang them while reopening traffic in the morning. Post tensioning is irrelevant, that is when the gantry crane can move itself. They did something similar over the parking lot entrances of WEM.

Back