Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

If there is no problem with the Tawatina segment, I wonder if LRT testing can take place between Muttart Station and 102 Street. Perhaps even Avonmore and 102 Street.

I agree, everyone should be contacting your councillors and demanding TransEd do the job right.
I am 100% ok with them looking kind of bonkers and really obviously repaired - as long as they're structurally sound of course.
It'll be a very classic Edmonton thing we can look back at and shake our heads in shame for many years to come.

If there is no problem with the Tawatina segment, I wonder if LRT testing can take place between Muttart Station and 102 Street. Perhaps even Avonmore and 102 Street.
I believe the previous update covered this- they can slowly move trains between over the piers between Muttart and the bridge, although, I guess this could be dependent upon the activity on the piers at the time. That would allow testing either Downtown or from Muttart to Avonmore. Last I saw of the LRV's, 4 were parked as 2 2 car trains at Muttart. Did get a pic sent to me today of a 2 car train Downtown. Running to Avonmore right now is a problem however, as they were repairing overhead in the Bonnie Doon area.

That external steel support is incredibly ugly. Is there any way the city can say no this wasn't part of the deal please do it right?
Maybe we'll see them converted into works of art? That would tie in nicely with how some here thought the piers were initially wrapped to allow art installation or other fantasies, rather than the harsh reality that TransEd had a big problem on their hands.
Kidding aside... ugly or not, this line needs to open for the sake of everyone. Get the repair done and maybe afterwards once all is well they can come up with some sort of covering. Lets just get the damn thing running.

@BASE the steel "supports", as you call them, are structural jacks designed to lift the load off of the reinforced concrete piers so that the faulty piers can be removed or upgraded. The steel jacks are only temporary.

Now it's 30 of 45 concrete piers that need fixing on Valley Line Southeast LRT

No updated timeline for repairs in latest update from CEO of TransEd

Mrinali Anchan
----

The wait for the Valley Line Southeast LRT to go into service continues as the CEO of TransEd announced Friday more piers will need be repaired than previously thought.

The $1.8 billion public-private partnership between TransEd and the City of Edmonton is nearly two years behind schedule from the original in-service date of December 2020.

In August, cracks were found in 18 of 45 concrete piers supporting elevated sections of track. About a month later, three more were added to that tally.

"Each pier is affected by forces in different ways and our engineer assessment has determined how many piers need to be repaired," Ronald Joncas said in a video updated posted Friday.

"Based on their current assessment, 30 elevated guideway piers need to be repaired."

There appears to be repair work underway at the Tawatina piers when I drove by last night. And yet we were told otherwise last week. I don't know what the TransEd guys are smoking.

There appears to be repair work underway at the Tawatina piers when I drove by last night. And yet we were told otherwise last week. I don't know what the TransEd guys are smoking.
On the actual bridge piers themself, or the elevated guideway leading up to the bridge? I would think they are considered separate. My guess is below for the 3 piers that are considered official bridge piers. (excuse typo, noticed too late)

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 10.56.15 AM.png

I would think that's your answer then, as far as the work goes it's on the guideway piers, not the Tawatina Bridge piers, which is what they stated.

Back