Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

More renderings...
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 10.07.28 AM.png

^^^^ No there will be portions of the platform that have heated shelters and portions that are open-air. The rendering where the poor soul is sitting on a cold wooden bench waiting for an assault of "the piles" is away from the station -- he just got jilted by his girlfriend and so is in a state of self-flagellation so-to-speak, wanting to re-arm his penchant for self-pity. He also misplaced his glasses; if he was wearing them you might recognize who he is.

Wooden bench man aside, it's interesting that they say they're responsible for designing all nine stations. That must mean there are preliminary designs of them all, and detailed design, procurement, and construction are the only things that are separated into phases? I didn't think the Campbell Road stretch would have even been touched yet, but it makes sense for consistency's sake that the city has one firm designing the entire corridor in one go.

Exactly right @CplKlinger on all counts. I believe that renderings (as improbable as some of them are) help to convey a strong forward movement for the Transit arm that they are connected to. And that helps with several agenda items -- funding, logistics, planning and public connectivity.

A street entrance from the ECC should’ve been added when they were doing Jasper Ave upgrades

I had to look twice before I realized that you're referring to the convention centre instead of City Centre Mall since the latter is a couple of blocks away from Jasper Ave

Sometimes it’s like all the departments related to the LRT all work in silos with no communication between each other. Is there nobody looking at the bigger picture overall? It’s mindboggling

I hope they keep that station design consistent throughout this line as shown in the renderings. I like how they really stand out with those huge black boxes and lighting underneath and look like a mini-big train station 😀

Can we reassess the Metro Line?

Prior to opening, I pushed back on the City and pointed out that it makes little sense to have every Metro Line train terminate at Health Sciences, while every Capital Line service from Clareview operates all the way to Century Park. There are plenty of people riding between Century Park or Southgate and Kingsway/RAH or NAIT. Absolutely nobody is riding all the way from Clareview to Century Park. Instead of forcing passengers between South Edmonton and NAIT to change trains, truncate some of the Capital Line trains from Clareview at Health Sciences. You'd be inconveniencing practically no one, whereas passengers traveling between south Edmonton and NAIT are being inconvenienced in favour of giving the nonexistent Clareview-Century Park passenger a seamless ride end-to-end.

For a number of years the City did the right thing and ran some NAIT trains to Century Park at certain times of the day. Now that's ended. Why is there little to no sense in civic administration?

Can we reassess the Metro Line?

Prior to opening, I pushed back on the City and pointed out that it makes little sense to have every Metro Line train terminate at Health Sciences, while every Capital Line service from Clareview operates all the way to Century Park. There are plenty of people riding between Century Park or Southgate and Kingsway/RAH or NAIT. Absolutely nobody is riding all the way from Clareview to Century Park. Instead of forcing passengers between South Edmonton and NAIT to change trains, truncate some of the Capital Line trains from Clareview at Health Sciences. You'd be inconveniencing practically no one, whereas passengers traveling between south Edmonton and NAIT are being inconvenienced in favour of giving the nonexistent Clareview-Century Park passenger a seamless ride end-to-end.

For a number of years the City did the right thing and ran some NAIT trains to Century Park at certain times of the day. Now that's ended. Why is there little to no sense in civic administration?
I think it comes down to capacity limitations. The long term plan is for the line to terminate at South Campus, but the 114 st/ University Ave intersection is maxxed out; they can't have both lines going through there at acceptable frequencies without causing unimaginably bad traffic congestion. Back when the Metro Line went down to Century Park, it had less frequency because of the issues with the signal system. I think they moved it to Health Sciences once the signal system was fixed, and they could run the Metro Line trains more often.

In the long-term, the city wants to grade-separate the track at that intersection. Should it have been done originally? Sure, I think so. I think it'd have made more sense for the LRT to come up closer to McKernan/Belgravia as was originally planned. But unfortunately, the province didn't give the city enough money to work with, so here we are.

Back