Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Folks, keep in mind that this is as much about 'speed' as it is about providing an alternative to car ownership, convenience in not having to find or pay for parking, permitting you to avoid winter driving conditions and imbibe at your leisure.
Actually it is about all of these. There are significant extra costs for driving every day, paying for parking downtown. Yes, there are some people who work downtown who feel comfortable enough financially not to think about these extra costs and maybe it is also inertia, if they have always driven to work, for lack of a reasonable alternative. However, there are also people who don't need to drive and can be persuaded by the cost argument, who are either on tighter budgets or who pay closer attention to their spending and are not foolish about it.

33F80E91-ED5A-4705-859D-27BFE68F7FCC.jpeg
5BB442C6-1D2D-41DC-B7D9-CB84C554C27B.jpeg

Yikes. We deserve better design for a centrepiece transit station. Will fit in right alongside the Stanley Milner and Art Gallery of Alberta architectural blunders.
I agree with the criticism over the transit connector and the Milner, but calling the AGA building an architectural blunder does not make absolutely ANY sense to me. It is probably one of the best examples of good architecture in the city!

Yikes. We deserve better design for a centrepiece transit station. Will fit in right alongside the Stanley Milner and Art Gallery of Alberta architectural blunders.
Its too bad, but the Churchill Square area has been surpassed by other areas downtown. There are still some good buildings here, but unfortunately some of it like the Library is cringe worthy and some others are mediocre remnants of the 60's.

My thought from earlier in the thread:
^ I don't really see it as a problem. Of course there's always a time and place to ask for better architecture, but I don't think that's what was needed here. It's clear they were trying to match the rest of the architecture around Churchill Square, notably Tix on the Square and the Three Bananas Cafe, the latter of which the connector is literally conjoined to. If anything, something [else] would've been so different that it would've thrown the cohesion of the entire Square out of balance. Not to say I think the connector's current design is anything great (or even necessarily that good), but there's a clear intent behind it.

My thought from earlier in the thread:
Agreed, for what it's intended to be (an indoor elevator access) I think the design isn't disruptive and gels with the rest of the Valley Line 'aesthetic', but I do think the turquoise panels were selected to compliment the same colours used in the coloured glass within Churchill Square (I would have preferred ETS blue myself, however).

Back