Winspear Centre Completion Project | 29.87m | 4s | Winspear Centre | Andrew Bromberg

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Some people and equipment on site, but still no visible
P2100814.JPG
activity...

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Feb 20, 2020
Status Approved
Description of Development To construct an addition to accommodate a new storage space underground abutting the existing underground parkade addition, with no development above Grade level to an existing Spectator Entertainment Establishment (Reference: Development Permit number 286547690-002). (Francis Winspear Centre for Music)
Address 4 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW

PERMIT_DATE March 17, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 4 - SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL SQUARE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct FOOTINGS AND FOUNDATIONS ONLY an underground parkade addition - Francis Winspear Centre for Music.
BUILDING_TYPE Theatre and Performing Arts Ctrs (550)
WORK_TYPE (04) Footing & Foundation
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 5,100,000

Downtown District Energy Initiative – Public/Private Partnership Options
  • ENMAX was the original proponent for the Downtown District Energy Initiative, but the company was not able to obtain approval to operate as an unregulated system and dropped out.
  • Administration examined three options for City ownership: (1) the original ENMAX concept of the Central District Energy Plant at the Winspear connected to ten buildings; (2) a scaled-down approach with a Central District Energy Plant at the Winspear and connections to Century Place and Chancery Hall; and (3) the same scaled-down approach with a boiler only configuration.
  • Administration recommends option 2, as it "allows the electricity generation for all three buildings, provides the best greenhouse gas impact and costs, and keeps the location of the Central District Energy Plant at Winspear."
  • Option 2 would cost $27.9 million in capital expenditures, which would be reflected in an unfunded capital profile as part of the 2020 Spring Supplemental Capital Budget Adjustment (SCBA). The Central District Energy Plant shell building could be constructed by Q2 2021 with commissioning and start of operation in late 2022.
  • "Should Council wish to explore the option of future expansion beyond the scaled-down scenario, Administration would then continue to work with EPCOR and other interested parties on the development of a governance and operational structure for the proposed Downtown District Energy initiative."

Last edited:
I was part of the combined heat and power pilot projects for the city at multiple rec centers. It's great to see they are pushing ahead with the district energy plant east of churchill square in some capacity. I have been told they are using some of my lessons learned from the pilot projects to guide utility stakeholder consultations. I am hopeful that as combined heat and power becomes more common, there will be more immediate cooperation from utilities.

Back