News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Car-Free Streets

I encourage you to go stand at 102/102 and look east and then west.

The complete lack of care of that roadway is significant. The amount of dirt, grime, garbage was significant and made worse by yesterday's windstorm.
Is TransEd or the city responsible for this stretch in terms of gravel, sidewalks, planters, garbage?

I should say from 102st west is the worse and reminds me of the lack of care or concern. East looked good and was night and day as TransEd likely is taking care of it with the COE.

Wellington and GasTown are just a wee bit different than the abyss that 102ave is... and reminds us that places like 104st should be considered FAR before something like 102.
car-free-wellington-street-montreal-verdun.jpeg

Smart alignment by the City would see MIP completing all required track/utility infrastructure on the intersection of 102 ave & 104 st over this summer, and then block all vehicle access from Michael Phair park to 102 until MIP completes their scope. Then work with the DBA to fund extra lighting (cross street string lights??), larger patios, secure bike parking, extra flower planters/baskets, etc for businesses along that stretch.

A man can dream

Wellington and GasTown are just a wee bit different than the abyss that 102ave is... and reminds us that places like 104st should be considered FAR before something like 102.
car-free-wellington-street-montreal-verdun.jpeg

We know, we know. But just sharing info about more pedestrianized streets happening in Canada is just highlighting some new developments and I don't know that it means getting defensive and critical about 102 Ave every time.

I guess some posts require a trigger warning. 😉

Last edited:
Perhaps some candidates for car-free streets (part-time) could include:
Downtown -
99 Street (Rice Howard Way, Arts District)
104 Street, 107, 108 Street
Oliver/Wihkwentowin - Brewery District
Strathcona - 100, 101, 105 Street

Back