News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.7K     0 

Yellowhead Trail Upgrades

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would love some sort of dedicated pedestrian/cyclist bridge that crosses over the Yellowhead and the railyard, somewhere between 97 St and 82 St. Feels like a shame to do all this work, but the Pedestrian crossings at 82 and 97 are still sort of - terrifying.

I think this makes the most sense for an active transportation corridor. Just build two small bridges, turn that vacant lot into a park, and Bob's your uncle.

1642632319755.png

soupcrate

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think this makes the most sense for an active transportation corridor. Just build two small bridges, turn that vacant lot into a park, and Bob's your uncle.

View attachment 375595
That would be great actually, especially with the bike paths they are adding on 91 Street and 128 Ave. I doubt think there's any hope for rehabilitating 97 Street to be a safe place to bike (or even walk tbh) near that stretch just north of the overpass, so a new path entirely off to the side would be great.

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
What are the two birds, in this case? I can't imagine them running an LRT up 89 St lol.
They're planning a Metro-line bridge that will go here (ignore the yellowhead's curve, it will be straightened out during that stretch of the freeway conversion)
Screenshot_20220120-110444_Maps.jpg

Granted, it's a bit further west than what you had in mind. But it'd still be connected to shared-use paths (see the map I edited above) and it'd save the city from having to negotiate a second deal with CN about building a bridge over their yard.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to see a second pedestrian bridge further east so that active transportation is more convenient. But it'd be nice to have something here as well, since the city is building a bridge anyway.

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

Schedule
The road closure is scheduled to begin at approximately 6 a.m. on Tuesday, March 1, 2022.
  • It is anticipated that Fort Road will remain closed for approximately three months.
  • Please be aware that construction schedules are weather dependent and subject to change.
Current or Upcoming Construction Activities
  • Construction of two temporary rail bridges over Fort Road
  • Installation of underground drainage infrastructure and communications utilities
FortRoad.jpg

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed some more construction on EB Yellowhead between 66 St and the river c/w reduced speed limits. It's a section that was supposed to be completed last year. Anyone know what's going on?