News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

William Hawrelak Park Rehabilitation

wonder if the site that held the Pope's visit circa 1980ish would be suitable. located at the intersection of the Henday and 97 St north. it is still just a field today.

I'll toss my hat in for Argyll Park. Pretty spacious, central-ish location, Davies lot nearby for those who insist on parking (run a shuttle), can stage busses on the street network (though, not as conveniently as in Rundle, for example). Walkable distance to Avonmore LRT (if that ever opens ;)), plus, how nice would it be to stroll / bike from Downtown or Whyte Ave, through Mill Creek Ravine, up to Heritage Days and then back again?

'Coun. Michael Janz has suggested the city negotiate a deal with the Royal Mayfair Golf Club to use some of its 150 acres of land. “When you think the Mayfair Golf Course only has 350 members and that’s not a representation of Edmontonians, I think it doesn’t align with the best use goals that we have for the ribbon of green and for the river valley,” he said.'

Holy dead horse Michael. Move on.

'Coun. Michael Janz has suggested the city negotiate a deal with the Royal Mayfair Golf Club to use some of its 150 acres of land. “When you think the Mayfair Golf Course only has 350 members and that’s not a representation of Edmontonians, I think it doesn’t align with the best use goals that we have for the ribbon of green and for the river valley,” he said.'

Holy dead horse Michael. Move on.
I think it's fair to keep reminding people that the Mayfair pays only $4,000 a month in rent for 153 acres of prime space in the middle of the city, I know I'm mad about it every time I see it. It's laughable.

I'm fine with the club being there, for what it's worth. Just should be paying more.

Or as Janz has suggested, the Mayfair Golf Club could dedicate a few days to the Heritage Festival and other events.

Other event space suggestions:
- Louise McKinney Park - they have that big dance stage that is rarely used
- Victoria golf course/park

You'd ruin the course if you hosted it there.

There are multiple other areas that could host it and provide a uniquely different experience.

As a tax payer I have no problem looking at the deal with the Mayfair, but Councillor Janz is doing this for personal and ideological reasons.

I think it's fair to keep reminding people that the Mayfair pays only $4,000 a month in rent for 153 acres of prime space in the middle of the city, I know I'm mad about it every time I see it. It's laughable.

I'm fine with the club being there, for what it's worth. Just should be paying more.

Paying much much more and the City needs to make it clear no renewal. The higher rents must be sufficient to encourage them to move early. The City might want to give them a deal on some city owned land in the burbs.

You'd ruin the course if you hosted it there.

There are multiple other areas that could host it and provide a uniquely different experience.

As a tax payer I have no problem looking at the deal with the Mayfair, but Councillor Janz is doing this for personal and ideological reasons.
As a taxpayer I think having River Valley land leased at substantially low rates so that the rich can have their golf secluded from the rest of society is outrageous. If they want to have this privilege, they should pay hefty amounts for it, not be subsidized by my taxes.
I have zero problems with the rich being rich and doing rich people stuff, I just don't want they to do it with MY money. They have much more than I do.

Is this number in fact true? They are only paying $48,000 a year? Since they are leasing, no property taxes on top of that then? Just want to make sure there is something I'm not missing here.

Back