News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

William Hawrelak Park Rehabilitation

Based on the time-frame set aside to rebuild it, I am going to guess -- two.
two to rebuild it who are working for the contractors at any point in time plus a staff project manager, three inspectors, two communications staff, four public consultation staff, two report writers and a scheduling coordinator, each with their own set of support staff and not including outside consultants. :)

I'm serious about this though, how many construction workers will be working on this project per day while under construction? This is important information that we never hear about.
This project could be done in one year if enough people work on it.

D0C2C1BE-B2D3-4675-AC4A-E46D6A13288E.jpeg
D94D4F65-80F5-4841-BBE4-0F362491CAD9.jpeg
It would, and it did :D

Considering all the examples given on construction time and the fact the park would be closed I find it hard to figure why or how this can take 3 years. And then also we have to factor in the city announcing (2 and a half years into the project) that there have been unforeseen issues and the park opening will have to be pushed back another 6 month's, etc...

We have a serious problem with construction scheduling and staffing. Perhaps it is time to tap into the homeless population's labour force to encourage them to work on construction projects.

Heritage is way, waaaaay too big for Churchill Square. I suspect they'll end up just doing it out of Rundle.

Would be cool to see Downtown do something radical though and close Jasper for several blocks downtown to host Heritage Fest or something like that.
Is Jackie Parker or Northlands big enough? Surely they can also use the Expo Centre for bathrooms and what not.

I'm serious about this though, how many construction workers will be working on this project per day while under construction? This is important information that we never hear about.
This project could be done in one year if enough people work on it.
Sure.... but that's overly simplistic and without staging considerations or climate implications.

Schedule, quality, budget - choose two.

Project Update - February 2022​

Design for William Hawrelak Park is continuing with preliminary drawings being refined to create a final, construction-ready, design for the project. This includes a more detailed site plan as well as floor plans, elevations and section drawings to support the development permit application process. This level of detail in design provides an understanding of the interdependencies between the scopes of work and the options to stage the construction. Through 2022, detailed design will continue to progress with construction targeted to begin in spring 2023.

The project team, including both City of Edmonton staff and external advisors such as architects, engineers and a construction manager, have evaluated the optimal approach to construction by taking into account multiple perspectives. The analysis included staging of construction through both partial and full park closures. The recommended staging plan includes a full park closure for a duration of up to 3 years. This would start as early as spring 2023 with the majority of the work being completed by fall 2024. The final year, 2025, will primarily focus on the final landscaping establishment including any seasonal deficiencies. It is possible that passive recreation activities may resume in a staged manner during this final year; however, the site will not be prepared to take heavy use and demand during this time.

A few items considered through this process included:

Construction Schedule: The full closure strategy allows the greatest opportunity to stack construction activities concurrently. The overlapping of activities and resources helps accelerate the timelines and create further agility, ensuring the completion of construction as per the schedule.
User experience: Although a full park closure is impactful, it allows the best opportunity to minimize park downtime for day to day users and avoid ongoing impacts to festival organizers over an extended period of years (as in a staged approach).
Complexity and Risk: A significant amount of permitting requirements for this project can be considered and managed in one single request which reduces the overall complexity and risk.
Parks Operations: Addressing the full scope of work under a full closure allows for the accelerated benefits of the renewal work, contributing to enhanced serviceability and reliability issues, in a more timely manner.
Cost: A full closure helps provide the greatest assurances of the total cost for the project. It will be less susceptible to inflation and market pressures including changing codes and standards, regulations and permits.
Project page with more details

Project Update - February 2022​

Design for William Hawrelak Park is continuing with preliminary drawings being refined to create a final, construction-ready, design for the project. This includes a more detailed site plan as well as floor plans, elevations and section drawings to support the development permit application process. This level of detail in design provides an understanding of the interdependencies between the scopes of work and the options to stage the construction. Through 2022, detailed design will continue to progress with construction targeted to begin in spring 2023.

The project team, including both City of Edmonton staff and external advisors such as architects, engineers and a construction manager, have evaluated the optimal approach to construction by taking into account multiple perspectives. The analysis included staging of construction through both partial and full park closures. The recommended staging plan includes a full park closure for a duration of up to 3 years. This would start as early as spring 2023 with the majority of the work being completed by fall 2024. The final year, 2025, will primarily focus on the final landscaping establishment including any seasonal deficiencies. It is possible that passive recreation activities may resume in a staged manner during this final year; however, the site will not be prepared to take heavy use and demand during this time.

A few items considered through this process included:

Project page with more details
There is no way anyone can convince me this is the right approach. There just has to be more determination. Our values guide our actions. If we value this recreational space, the active transport connections, the festivals and tourism this location brings, we won’t do this. No excuses imo. This is a failure of will. It’s a lack of “customer service”.

If they close the entire park for 3 years I hope there’s protests. I just don’t get it. Same spirit as all the construction messes downtown. There’s gotta be a care to do it better.

I definitely don't like this idea of closing the park for 3 years. Yeah it's a big park but honestly can someone tell me what kind of work would make it take that long. It sounds more like a make work project. Didn't it take about 2 years or so to build Rogers Place? What kind of modern marvel are they planning to build?

I was involved with the Ft Edmonton Park reno. We did a staged rebuild with some facilities still being used. Deep utilities were working in one area, the shallow utilities in another. then the next season they switched. and with Ft Ed they extended the season to catch up time lines do to covid. And in all the time during the first year there were weddings and events at the park. I clearly remember one wedding on a Sat I was on site. all work came to a stop while the church services was being conducted. then we all went back to work. I cannot see Hawrelak park as the same. its larger and has more open spaces, fewer buildings. I can see the deep and shallow utilities being the big issue but just the open spaces should allow for a zoning phased approach so it could be open for most of the time. Yah so the pavilions are closed for periods. The deep trenching can be done differently.

Back